Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Problems , I think need input.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnnyFresno, Mar 8, 2003.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Well first problem is, every morning when I go to start my blazer I have to pump the hell outta the pedal and it takes like 5 or 6 tries to turn it over. Then once it's running I'll give it a little gas and it will die on me. Second once I get it all wamred up and running, the low end power is vey weak and I get a severe vibration in like second gear. Could this be a dead cylinder? my number 1 plug is always oil fouled and I get some white smoke from my exhaust. Also when in gear I get bad engine vibrations.
    If anyone can give me an idea on what this might be I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well first problem is, every morning when I go to start my blazer I have to pump the hell outta the pedal and it takes like 5 or 6 tries to turn it over. Then once it's running I'll give it a little gas and it will die on me. Second once I get it all wamred up and running, the low end power is vey weak and I get a severe vibration in like second gear. Could this be a dead cylinder? my number 1 plug is always oil fouled and I get some white smoke from my exhaust. Also when in gear I get bad engine vibrations.
    If anyone can give me an idea on what this might be I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I dunno whats causing it but mine is doing the exact same thing. I turned the timeing up on mine so it's running better but also really rich which means I can drive it but ten dollars gets me about 15 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh it sounds kinda like a dead cylinder, #1 cylinder probably has a bad ring pushin oil up past the piston covering the plug causin it to go dead. Does it do the white smoke all the time? or just for a min or two after startup? could it just be overnight condensation steaming out of the pipe? White smoke is i belive coolant, so you have coolant getting ito the cylinder somehow if it does it all the time. Have you done a compression test on all the cylinders? If you have two it could be unbalancing the engine causing the truck to shake. Or could it just be a broken engine mount? Thats all i got, also with the pumping and all my 87 (yeh i know tbi is a different animal) my truck wouldnt start and it was like your problem and i had a bad temperature sensor telling the truck it was 210 deg when it was 30 so it wouldnt spit gas. I dont know if your truck has one but if it does that could be a problem as well. Sorry for the long response, this is probably wrong.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

How long has it been sence your last major tune up? Plugs cap wires rotor module ect.You might just have some bad plug wires or other ign problems.

The hard starting in the morning problem might just be a choke problem/adjustment.
    If a tune up and choke adjustment dont cure the problem.
    There may be some internal engine problems.
    White smoke from the exhaust a fouled plug and power loss may be an indicator of a blown head gasket or cracked head..

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

1. I assume before you start your truck you set the choke and high idle by putting the gas pedal to the floor. When you turn the key, does the motor catch and jump to high idle? If you kick the high idle down too soon with the choke still on, you can cause the motor to flood itself.

2. Rough running/poor peformance can also be caused by bad wires/cap/rotor(as suggested above), a plugged catalytic converter, or a blown EGR valve. You should take a close look at these before worrying about bigger issues.

Keep us informed of what you find, brother.

6. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Does it do the white smoke all the time? or just for a min or two after startup?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I start it up, and randomly driving.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you done a compression test on all the cylinders?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not yet.

[ QUOTE ]
    Or could it just be a broken engine mount?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing I will check that.

[ QUOTE ]
    How long has it been sence your last major tune up?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been a little while, I have just been chaning out the number one plug every other week or so. I plan on doing a total tune up today.

Thanks for the input.