Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Mar 10, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

i'm building a 400 SB on a 76 K5, i need to take the oil filter off i broke my wrench trying, tried to use the one u hook up to ur impact gun, didn't work, i stabbed a huge screwdriver through it and it is still on, wat do i do?

phill

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Phill, 1st things first, when did you change you oil last man, cuz it shouldn't be on that tight, unless completly rusted together, which would be a first in a vehicle that has had oil running through it. Now back to the problem, I actually had a very smart friend break my wrench and crush his filter trying to get it off, and the funny part about it was, he forgot righty tighty, lefty loosey since he was under vehicle. So basically he tighted it as tight as possible. It still backed off once he got the principles down. How to get yours off if it is really that tight, two ways, one experimental and one sure thing. Experimental (I have used it for some bolts) is to freeze it with freon, about a can, and see if it will loosen it up, the other is just cut the filter away down to threads and clean them out with wire wheel. I'd try to figure out what caused it, and maybe install a remote filter (maybe the heat is getting to it) Good luck, and it sure makes me feel good hearin about other's funny troubles.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General