Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 14, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok well i have been working onmy motor for awhile now off and on, this weekend i finally got a welder so i could weld up the exaust, i had blew a head gasket on break-in of a completely brand new engine. well i got it all done yesterday and i couldnt get it to idle smooth, it has been balanced and everything. i played with the timing forever and still no difference, i got out the carb cleaner and started spraying around the vacuum fittings and carb base, when i got to the egr block-off plate it made a wierd "pop" noise and started idleing perfect imediatly afterwards and it has been since, i got to looking a little closer and found the aluminum block-off plate was cracked, and one of the intake bolt heads is broken off, might have been the wierd poping noise i heard? i am going to pull the intake, and replace the bolt and new gaskets, would there be a problem with using 1/4 plate to replace my block-off plate??? also after spraying the carb cleaner and everything running smoothly now, should i be concerned that it all the sudden started working perfect??

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Can't answer the popping and running question .

But as for using 1/4 inch plate , I don't see why not .

I have ran the factory spacer with the holes and a simple piece of sheetmetal before to block off the EGR with no leaks etc ( Had to borrow an Edelbrock 4 years ago and EGR hit that carbs rear pass side ):k5: :k5:

3. bigbadchev84

ok well i took the intake off this weekend to take out the broken bolt, i found one of the pushrods had poped off of the lifter, that must of been the wierd popping noise i heard, it hitting the underside of the valve cover. what would cause this? why did it run so good after this popped off?

4. bigbadchev84

ok up to date now, i pulled the valve cover to find that the rocker arm had actually broken off, ok so i replace the lifter, rocker arm, and pushrod and this thing is back to running like crap again, this is driving me insane! what is going on here? this is a brand new motor! could this be a flat cam lobe or what? please help!!!

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

how long did u do the break in routine? when i had my motor rebuilt i waited 700miles before even thinking of touching th go pedal hard. i don't know why it would run great with a broken rocker other than the valve wasn't sitting in its seat all the way. :dunno:

6. bigbadchev84

i blew a head gasket while breaking the motor in, it has zero miles on it, i just got the motor in, blew the head gasket, i have had nothing but probs with this motor!, i have built about 10 motors completely and this one is the first one to ever give me fits like this

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

wow.... call ripleys... i don't know what could cause it run good without one valve then like crap with all of em working, doesn't make sense.

since you've built 10 motors im sure you know about the timing advance wire.

Can't think of anything else.

8. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Pushrod length correct? Hydrolocked lifter?

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I just thought of this... are you sure its not a bent valve? blowing a head gasket could easily get it hot enough to bend one. My dad had one bend on his 383 when it was pingin and it ran like **** after it bent. If thats the case i can understand the broken rocker and runnin like ****.

10. bigbadchev84

ok just a thought here, it could very well be a bent valve i didnt think of that, but in theroy when the intake valve rocker on the #3 cylinder broke and the engine smoothed out and idled good, that would be a dead cylinder. well now that i fixed the rocker and it runs like crap again, couldnt i pull the #3 plug wire and kill the cylinder, just to double check?

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

be a good idea... i would bet money thats the problem... i can't see how anything else would do that.