Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

my brother bought a 290 hp gm crate motor a couple years ago and has only put about 5-6000 miles on it, we just recently put a set of alum valve covers on it, new plugs and wires, the next day he was driving it and it started to bellow smoke out the passenger side, i noticed oil dripping from the collector and pulled all the plugs the #8 plug was dripping with oil, the other 3 looked brand new, i compression checked and got this #8-150psi, #6-125psi, #4-135psi, #2-150psi. we dropped the oil in the pan and changed it no antifreeze, coolant looked good to. so what could it be?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Bad PCV maybe.. Did you use a PCV valve on the new covers?

John

3. Burntclutch

Burntclutch Registered Member

I'm think'n vent'n problems. I put a set of valve covers on one time and did'nt use a pcv or vented cap,when pressure built up it would blow out my dipstick and oil would soak my fire wall and driver side header down by the collector. smoked like a freight train!!!! put on a vented cap and no more problems.

4. bigbadchev84

there is a pcv but not on that side, the side im having probs with has no holes in it, is it pushing past the valve seals?

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Depending on what trans is in it check the modulator hose for tranny fluid. If it is wet inside the hose the modulator valve is bad and the engine is sucking tranny fluid into the engine. The fitting on the manifold is in the runner for the number 8 cylinder and would show up on the spark plug.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd blame the valve covers..

You need a breather on the passenger side valve cover,to let air IN the motor,so the PCV valve can ventilate the crankcase properly..otherwise it will suck air past the rings,valve giudes, or any other internal part that will let air in,drawing oil with it,and burn it in the cylinders..

I've seen many perfect engines smoke like chimneys when aftermarket valve covers with no provision for a breather were installed..:crazy:

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking....

8. bigbadchev84

ok installed a new plug and breather in the valve cover and it still smoked for a while on the road the reved it a few times and it seemed to stop? does the pcv hose have to be hooked up at the base of the carb? it is currently just tied into the vacuume source for the brake booster in the back of his performer intake. is it not enough vacuume?

9. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

do you have good brakes? if so then you got good vacuum and you dont need a pvc on both sides, only one, you sure the pvc is good on the driver side??

10. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

If he's got hydro-boost brakes, your method won't work. Vacuum gauge would be needed to check.

11. bigbadchev84

ok thought it was fixed but i guess not, he was driving it and started to smoke real bad and lost 30psi of oil pressure. is this a stuck ring?

12. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure. If oil pressure is lost it is from a loose fitting bearing somewhere in the engine or the pressure relief bypass spring in the oil pump is bad (highly doubtful). Last thing could be a plugged oil filter in which the bypass isn't working properly but then the oil filter would explode so guessing that isn't it either.

13. bigbadchev84

ok found some time to work on this, pulled the head and looks like a blown head gasket between 4 and 6, cylinders look like glass, no gouges or anything else i can see.