Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blackmagic, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Blackmagic

Blackmagic Registered Member

I have a problem that I thought I would throw out there to the Colorado K5 Crew. I recently messed up my truck. I went through some mud and some slushy water while I gassed the engine pretty good. Now this was not that much mud and water, little puddles and soft mud. I did this all behind my apartment and was moving it around to the front to the parking lot. By the time it took to pull into a spot it sputtered and died. I have tried to started it since and it runs then runs really rough then kills.

A little background: two weeks ago I changed the oil and plugs. I had been running on 7 of 8. the number 4 plug was fouled then I changed it and it ran a lot smoother up to this point. I checked that one plug today and it looked pretty bad. I swaped it out, but it did not change much. I started it and it ran for a bit, but then got progressively rougher. I took it out and looked at it again and it was blackened with carbon.

My project truck is a 1974 Blazer with a non-converted np203 and a small block 350. So far to the engine I have put on an Edlebrock performer manifold and a Performer 600cfm Carb w/ electronic choke. I don't know how to adjust it though. It smells really rich when it starts up and white smoke comes out when it starts running rough.

Of course I am thinking the worst at this point because I bought it used less than a year ago and I don't know the history of the components. One project turns into a mess of other problems. I guess why I am posting this is to get feedback from other users with Chevy engines and to post something to see how it works. At this point I'm saving up for an engine rebuild, but I would like this one to work until I can afford all that. wouldn't that be nice?

Well thanks for reading. I would appriciate any feedback. I will check back periodically.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif Dominic

PS: I am planning on creating a site dedicated to My Blazer. I will probably have pictures of mine and my friends Blazers and Jimmys up here in Alaska on it too.

2. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Go to the auto parts store and buy some of those spark plug Fowlers I think they are called. Basically the are a spacer to help prevent the plug from fowling. They just screw on the end of the plug and the thread into the block. Good thing to use in your situation. Hope that helps.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It sounds like the float(s) are stuck in the carburetor. I bet that if you pull all the plugs they probably all look about the same. Bouncing around may have damaged the float needles and they arent sealing good.

The best thing would be to pull the top off the carb after trying to get it to run. You should be able to tell if there is too much fuel in the bowls. If there is I rould recommend that you change the needles and seats and go from there.

Please let us know what happens.