Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine problems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by veris, Jul 26, 2003.

1. veris

veris Registered Member

Hi All, I just got my first K5 and have a few questions.

First it's an red 87 350

After i got the thing home I noticed that the radiator had a leek and was bone dry, no big deal.

But what I am worried about is the oil filter looked expanded, and there was not alot of oil in the crank case. The oil pressure gauge read about 30. It is not burning oil, as far as i can tell.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

whats the oil look like? milky? i would start by doing an oil change and filling up the radiator..if the oil comes out with water in it...you have possibly a headgasket problem...was it overheating with a dry radiator??

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. veris

veris Registered Member

Did an oil change and the oil was old, but no water, alhough there was almost no water in the radiator.

Yes it was overheating, possibly the cause of the oil filter bloating up?

just wanted to make sure i didnt get screwed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Confedneck

fill it up with coolant/water 50/50 mix and bleed the air from the system...see how it drives..ive never heard of an oil filter bloating because of overheating..or at all for that matter..

5. veris

veris Registered Member

Took it for a ride and, the engine seems ok, it runs better with a full oil pan. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
    and no smoke.

I have never heard of a oil filter bloating like that before either, when I pulled it I was like what the ...?
    Just wanted to see if some of the experts around here had a clue, and if my motor was RIP.

I an going to keep an eye on it for a while. But i think a dodged the bullet.

The radiator has some leeks, so i filled it most of the way. so it wont pressurize, yet still have some cooling. I will order a new one ASAP.

Thanks for your help

6. Confedneck

good luck with the new truck...and welcome to CK5