Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Probs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5freak44, Sep 8, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, im running a 350 TBI engine in my 91 and i have been having some problems with the recently. Its got 103,000 on the clock and it has ran strong until a couple of moths ago.

I started noticeing A big puff of white smoke on startup ONLY. It dosent smoke after the engine is warm.

Coolant in the resavour is dirty and very low.

When i have my rear window down and im crusing at about 45 there is a real bad smell that is sucked up into the cab. Im guessing its coolant burning because it smells sweet. But it is not smoking when i smell this.

Also when my engine starts up sometimes it stubles and it isint uncommon for it do stubmle and die when i put it into gear.

Also starting yesterday, after i start my truck up and start driving, the power suts off for a second but it dosent stall. Just my radio turns off when the engine kinda stumbles.

What am i up against here. I have been told i probably have a bad head gasket, but i figure i would get an opinion from the pros.

Thanks
    -Jonathan

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its broke :p:

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a coolant ingestion (sp?) issue to me, but further diagnosis is needed before blaming a head gasket or head. Intake leaks could also produce coolant injestion.
    If you run the engine with the radiator cap off you may be able to see a steady flow of air coming out the radiator. This would eliminate an intake coolant leak, and generally means a head or head gasket issue.