Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine pull and possible stroker (LONG)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k20, Jan 4, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, well since this engine has to come out, im contemplating going ahead and making a 383 stroker. But to get this old block to that stage i can just about buy a new block and kit from PAW. Now here are my questions

1.)In the paw book they have a regular 350 4 bolt w/ 1 piece rear main seal. I know that will go in, but its not the 383 that i am kinda getting the itch for. I know this would probably have the least hassles and all but would this be better options than the ones below if they are even possible.

2.)They have a 377 kit that you can order bored out a bit more and made a 383 so thats what i would do, HOWEVER the problem is, is that its got the 2 piece rear main seal like the older engines. Would this engine have all of the knock sensor hookups and other hookups that my engine has now so it would be computer compatible? Since this is the pre-85 style im not sure.

3.)Finally as the pull of this old engine is there any tricks to it? Any little thing we might forget to disc that could screw it all up? Since its computer controlled i know it has alot more wires to possibly screw up and all but any other minor line thats forgotten many times?

4.)Should i just forget all new parts and rebuild the probably 2 bolt main i have for a few dollars less and just keep that one?

Thanks all i know its alot of opinion in these questions but i value y'alls opinions as they always seem to be right. Also, im not planning on pulling the tranny with the engine is that a better plan than taking it out too?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, to make it easier to read and shorter, is it possible to put a 400 crank in a 1 piece rear main seal engine? or does it have to be 2 piece, and if it has to be 2 piece do 2 piece style engines have all of the necesary computer hookups for a computer controlled engine?

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The stock 400 crank won't fit in the 1-piece main seal engines. But you can buy brand new cranks that have the stroke of a 400, main journals that fit a 350, and the correct end to fit the 1-piece seal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only sensor that connects to the engine block is the knock sensor. It screws into the coolant drain plug on the passenger side. It will fit any of the engines. I've got an early block, with the 400 crank machined down to fit it, with '87 'vette heads and TPI bolted to the top of it. Everything went together without a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

ok, thanks thats kinda what i wanted to hear now i just need about $2300 for that new 4 bolt main 383 2 piece seal kit from PAW, well there goes any hopes for my other 2 swampers for my birthday. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif O well no point in new swampers if theres no engine to drive em...

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If ya wanna play, ya gotta pay! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Is that $2,300 for a complete engine or just the shortblock? My heads have small combustion chambers, so I had to use dished pistons to keep the compression ratio reasonable. So if it's a shortblock, make sure that it's set up right for the heads that you want to use. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

it comes with the heads some world product heads that have larger ports and all than the vortec's. and they are 76cc so the compression ratio will be lower so i can use flat topped pistons. Only prob is it isnt assembled so i either gotta take a crash course in it or cough up more $$$ to get someone to do it for me.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

May I recommend POWERHOUSE 383 engine kits?
    Powerhouse web site

A lot cheaper than most of the other kits out there. This is what I want to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    -- Mike

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

9. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If an older block is OK for your truck, I am pretty happy so far with my 383 out of Wheeler Motorsports. I haven't driven it yet, but the work looked good and they seemed to use good parts.

I got an assembled/balanced 383 shortblock (Block, pistons, rods, crank) and a couple heads (Vortec if you like) to bolt on for just under $2k.

www.wmsonline.com
    I ordered my engine through Clay.

Good Luck,

-Ben

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Did you run a compression test on your old engine?

Or pull the heads?

Just curious about the original prob.....