Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Pull?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Cheyenne, Mar 2, 2000.

1. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have chased an oil leak from the valve covers down to the timing chain cover now I am faced with the delima of "to pull or not to pull"the entire engine and do a gasket kit on the 350 or just loose the pan and do the cheap fix. The leak seems to be right where the timing chain cover meets the oil pan, which tells me it could be a gasket or the harmonic seal I'd rather replace the seal than fool with the gaskets. But I'm thinking this deserves more attention, and how long would it take an average joe to pull and regasket, reseal a motor?

<font color=red>Hunker Down

[​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can replace every seal on that engine with it in. Infact you could even pull the crank if need be if it's an auto tranny with it still bolted to the tranny. Not many vehicles with that much clearence around the motor. You can drop the pan no problem and do the job right. you only looking about $25 in parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Zack

Zack 1/2 ton status

I pulled my motor out and had it on an engine stand in T-Minus about 4 hours... That was the quick part.. The long part for me was tearing it down, taking it to the machine shop, and all that bull. My one piece of adivice to you is to bag and LABEL your bolts so you can put it back together right!! I didn't and that is why I am telling you to

Zack Carlson

No I am still not done with my frame up resto!! Soon i swear!

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

OK I'm big on the keep it simple syndrome. How much oil do you lose between oil changes? If it's less than a couple quarts, that would be "normal" according to a nationally known mechanic whom I trust. Now if you lose that in one trail ride, that's a problem. While I ain't no ASE mechanice, bottom line, in my humble opinion, if oil loss isn't bad & pressure is OK, LEAVE IT ALONE!

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

My original 305 was leaking at the same place. The only problem was that I have a dirt driveway and didn't really know how bad it was. While we were driving to NC for vacation the choke light came on for some reason just as we entered Virginia so I pulled over to check under the hood.I found that between NY and Virginia I lost 4 1/2 Quarts. After filling the oil and checking the gas we spent our week in NC then drove home stopping every 1/2 to add oil.The shortage of oil destroyed my camshaft and the K5 died just as we pulled in the driveway and it never started again until I had the 350 put in. Now the rear main is leaking but not too much so I will leave it for now but I will not forget to check it. So to make a long story longer,I would probably leave it alone unless it is a bad leak. Good Luck!

Blazerbob<font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My 350 used to leak like a siv in that same spot. I couldnt get that sucker to stop, UNTIL I took my time, wire brushed it all, and wiped it with acetone. I realized that every time I replaced the oil pan gasket, when I'd go to put the pan back on, the bottom of the crank would hit the front rubber seal and push it into the pan, or partially into the pan. I just didnt have the clearance to keep it from hitting the crank. So I just put the rubber seal up onto the block first, then put the pan on after that. Since then, not a single drop of oil anymore. WoOooooHooOooo!!!!!! Hope this helps....

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

like they said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. as soon as you start pulling things apart, you find EVERYTHING thats wrong, and ya can't just button it back up. ask me sometime about a motorcycle i was gonna change the rings on, and ended up with a twelve hundred dollar rebuild.
    not that it wasn't fast as heck, but i sure wasn't expecting it.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

The oil pan dosen't look to be a big problem, my main question is how do you pull the harmonic balancer with the engine in place I would need to replace the timing chain gasket as well. I would really like to leave the motor in the truck if you know what I mean.

<font color=red>Hunker Down

[​IMG]

9. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Re: Engine Pull?--Distributor pull?

Wanting to know if its possible to pull out the HEI coil-in-cap Distributor out of the engine bay with the engine still in the vehicle? I'm frustrated as heck that I can't find out why my 84 won't start and have a post at the end of this post. I've looked into getting a new replacement for about 140.00 bucks(was the cheapest quality thus far) from SUMMIT RACING. just looking for clearance problems that I might encounter if I HAVE TO pull it.

Now I click my heels three times and murmur.....
    Please don't say the engine has to come out.....Please don't say the engine has to come out.....Please don't say the engine has to come out....There's no place like Sascatchawan!

-DV8

10. chad

chad Registered Member

Re: Engine Pull?--Distributor pull?

Had to change the timing chain on mine. Pulled out the radiator, that was simle and made lots of room to work up front, then was easily able to pull everything else off till I got to the cover, pulled that, changed the seals and put er all back together, wasn't a space problem at all it you take the radiator out, and that only took maybe an hour max to do that, the rest took a little longer though.

[​IMG]
    Cruisin Taz in a 79!
    Chad