Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, hopefully tomorrow I will feel better, and can do more work on the blazer.
    Thursday and friday I took the gas tank off, took some hangers off the frame, heat sheild, front right shock. and I unbolted the fuel lines from the frame. They go up to this thing bolted to the engine. Can I just unbolt the thing from the engine block? Will anything come out? I hope I can unbolt it, because the hose clips (squeeze the tabs with pliers and they loosen up, what are they called?) are on at an awkward angle for the pliers.
    here is a picture of what I am talking about:

[​IMG]
    Also, what is involved in taking the engine out? What all has to get out of the way. How many bolts are holding it to the frame? What should I do with it if I don't have an engine stand? is there anything I have to take off the actual engine or is it okay? Please bare with me, this is my first attempt alone!! Do I just unbolt it from the th-350 and slide and lift it out? Is the torque converter bolted to the engine, or is it just sitting there? Once I unbolt the crossmember the tranny/t-case sits on, will they just drop down with the assistance of the jack?

For those who don't remember, this is somewhat what it looks like right now :
    [​IMG]

2. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

thats the fuel pump nothing will fall out when you remove it. i would just cut the hose, you should replace the rubber stuff anyways! good to see you are tearing into it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes you can take that off, its called a fuel pump.

y not just take the engine, tranny and tcase out all at the same time, its more work to take them out individually. just 1 bolt on each side of the motor on the motor mounts, and 2 bolts holding the adapter to the crossmember, then a few wires and its out. oyu can just set it on the ground. just remember to drain all the oils.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

hmm... thats a good idea. I never thought aboout replacing little things like that. One more question, the hose that hooks up to the fuel pump, it comes to the front, then twists, then hooks onto the fuel pump, is that how it is suposed to be, or is it a hackjob? Thanks.

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could take off the tranny and engine as a unit. If you don't want to do that you have to remove the torque converter cover and there are three bolts that attach the torque converter to the flex plate. All that is holding the engine to the frame after the tranny is out are two engine mounts these are on the side of the block just remove the through bolts and lift the engine up. You can use a old tire with no rim to set the engine on so you do not damage it but i wouold just go out and buy an engine stand you can get them for like fifty dollars

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wouldn't it be tippy since the hoist will be hooked up to the engine, and there is weight extending behind it?

When I drail all the oil out of the engine, tranny, and transfer case, should I put anything in it so nothing will be hurt when I put it back together next year? Is it okay for the 3 parts to be hooked up, and just sitting on a tarp on the ground? (of course with a tarp over it) should I put anything in the engine after I drain the oil?

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you could take off the tranny and engine as a unit. If you don't want to do that you have to remove the torque converter cover and there are three bolts that attach the torque converter to the flex plate. All that is holding the engine to the frame after the tranny is out are two engine mounts these are on the side of the block just remove the through bolts and lift the engine up. You can use a old tire with no rim to set the engine on so you do not damage it but i wouold just go out and buy an engine stand you can get them for like fifty dollars

[/ QUOTE ]

The ones around here are $100+ I will see if I can borrow that money and get one. If I do get a stand, will it suport the tranny-tcase. Or should I jsut go through the extra work and unbolt it from the engine? I think I have an old tire I could use for the tranny/tcase if I need to set it on something.

8. rubbinz raczn

fuel line should be hardline almost to fuelpump then about 8" of rubber line iirc. it does take a fairly tight turn to pump.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    fuel line should be hardline almost to fuelpump then about 8" of rubber line iirc. it does take a fairly tight turn to pump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, it sounds like its correct then. Should I replace the metal fuel line too? It looks okay, except at the end where it attached to the gas tank, it got a bit rusty.

10. 1979jimmy350

i would make sure you have the engine on some thing so the oil pan is not crushed by the weight. If you worry about the tranny engine hooked together being tippy hook you chain to the engine and the other end to the tranny and then lift it from the center of the chain

11. 1979jimmy350

if you put the engine on a stand you have to take the tranny off because you use the bellhousing bolt holes to hook it to a stand

12. rubbinz raczn

engine stands are nice but depending on what you plan on doing to the engine you might not have to spend the extra on a stand. if you are gonna just clean up the engine and put it back in i wouldn't spend the extra cash.

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

you wont be able to bolt the engine to the engine stand with the tanny/t-case on it.
    I wouldnt set it all on the the dirt ground, I would try and either put it on concrete or in a shed.
    Are you planning to go throught the whole engine or what??

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

actually the fuel pump pushrod will slide out of position when you remove the fuel pump
    to put it back together you will need to use a longer bolt in one of the holes in the front face of the block to temporarily pin the fuel pump pushrod up and out of the way of the fuel pump lever arm

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

it may be tippy, just hook the cherry picker back further. i always put a long bolt threw the chain so the hook doesn't slide forward and allow it to tip more.

actually, if you are gonna let them sit for a while, id leave the oil in them, just make sure you change all the fluids before you run it again. just seal the tcase with some ducttape so nothing can get in it.

an engine stand will only support the engine. the tranny/tcase will still have to sit on the ground. its not worth buying one if your only gonna let it sit, they are required if you are gonna rebuild the engine thouhg.

16. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'd leave everything hooked together if it'll be that long before you put it back in the vehicle. That way the parts won't get lost. I'd find some way to keep dirt out of everything (plastic bags and zip ties, plugs, rags, etc.).

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    actually the fuel pump pushrod will slide out of position when you remove the fuel pump
    to put it back together you will need to use a longer bolt in one of the holes in the front face of the block to temporarily pin the fuel pump pushrod up and out of the way of the fuel pump lever arm

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds kind of hard, is it hard, or is just a matter up sticking it in to hold it up while I bolt the fuel pump back in place?

[ QUOTE ]
    it may be tippy, just hook the cherry picker back further. i always put a long bolt threw the chain so the hook doesn't slide forward and allow it to tip more.

actually, if you are gonna let them sit for a while, id leave the oil in them, just make sure you change all the fluids before you run it again. just seal the tcase with some ducttape so nothing can get in it.

an engine stand will only support the engine. the tranny/tcase will still have to sit on the ground. its not worth buying one if your only gonna let it sit, they are required if you are gonna rebuild the engine thouhg.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I will rebuild an engine one day, maybe this one next year if I have enough money. I think I will pick one up, then I don't have to worry about damaging anything if I put it on the ground.
    I think I will unbolt the engine from the tranny before I take it out, then put it on a stand. So then I will put tape over the ends of the tranny and transfer case. Should I do anything to the engine so it will be okay when I put it back in next year?

[ QUOTE ]
    i would make sure you have the engine on some thing so the oil pan is not crushed by the weight. If you worry about the tranny engine hooked together being tippy hook you chain to the engine and the other end to the tranny and then lift it from the center of the chain

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I will look into getting a longer chain. Should I get a chain that is rated (grade 5 or 8) or can I just get some from a place like Canadian tire? (it's like a everything you need type of store, autoparts, gardening stuff, tools, cookware, lighting, etc) If I need a graded chain, what type should I get? Any certain length?

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd leave everything hooked together if it'll be that long before you put it back in the vehicle. That way the parts won't get lost. I'd find some way to keep dirt out of everything (plastic bags and zip ties, plugs, rags, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides bolts, what could get lost if I take the tranny/tcase apart from the engine? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. rubbinz raczn

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] that is an issue but you can do that with engine out also. if you can pull the engine without removing the fuel pump that would be best since place on block where fuel pump goes also connects to oil galley and cam! if you do remove it replace pump or seal off hole in block.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I will just cut the hose like someone suggested earlier. Than I don't have to worry about messing the fuel pump up.
    Thanks!