Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shupach, Apr 7, 2001.

1. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

hey im just running my the engine i rebuilt and noticed that a good amount of steam was comin out of the breathers. Is that normal? should i add more oil or is the engine not cool enough?

phill

2. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Are you sure it's not smoke? Sounds like you don't have your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system hooked up correctly.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Check for oil in your radiator or water in your oil. You might have a head gasket problem.
    Corey 78K5

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

make sure its smoke and not steam. Hold a mirror over the breather and check residue. steam will go away, oil will leave a film. Are you running a p.c.v.? if you are not, this is just crankcase pressure.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

5. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

I didn't hook up the pvc so thats probably it. How do i hook that up? and how does it work?

thanks phill

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I have the same thing on my new engine, I'm interested to see what you all have to say as well.

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

[​IMG]

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

There should be a grommet for a pvc valve in one of the valve covers. Connect this to the one of the large vacuum ports on your carb. Get a pvc valve for your size and year of engine.
    If you just rebuilt it, it sounds excessive to me. I had an old nova that would push out lots of oil from the blowby of bad rings whatever. I would check to make sure it's not water vapor because that shouldn't be. Check your oil and make sure you don't have any chocolate milk looking residue on the dipstick or inside your valve covers.
    Also, how long did you run the engine and was the "steam" coming out of the valve cover breathers (i assume that's were it's coming from) when the engine was running or when just shut off?

[​IMG]

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

My motor (Crate 350) had tons of blowby for probably the first 3 months it was in there. It went away on it's own, so try keeping an eye on it for a while.

[​IMG]

9. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

heres the deal, when i turn it on the oil vapor i believe, comes out of my breathers, I do not have the the pcv hooked up and i have the chrome edelbrock signature series valve covers, which i believe do not have grommet for the pcv. i capped the breather on the drivers side w/ a little oil cap, the other side has a kn breather. The vapors got so bad that at one point the oil from the KN began dripping onto the exhaust and catching on fire. When i turn the engine off it continues to let off a bit but quits after a minute or so. My question is, is the pcv valve a must or can i live without it and hope that the "steam" will go away in a couple months?

10. 89Blazin

89Blazin 1/2 ton status

A PVC valve will not fix your symptom. You're valves are not fully seated yet, but this does sound excessive.

85 Burb and an 89 Blazer
    One just for fun, one simply for pleazer

11. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

PVC is a must. Until the rings seat in you will get some blow by. With the PVC in place, you will balance the pressure difference on the bottom of the engine. With a cap on one side and a filter on the other, you are actually building up pressure on the bottom side of the engine (pistons going up and down) which is probably why you are seeing excessive amounts of smoke. The amount of pressure building is also keeping the oil in the rocker arm area. The PVC valve just pushes into the grommet (mines on the left side) and hooks up to the bottom, large, front vacuum port on the carb (3/8" hose). I run Edelbrock covers too and had to cut the bottom of one of the grommets that came with them. Besides balancing the pressure on the bottom side of the engine, it remove some of the harmful gases that build up in the crankcase.

12. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

well i just ran a test and realized that steam is coming out. This means that somehow water is in system. Im guessing somehow i blew a head gasket or this could be the pressure build up from the crank area. I tested by putting a mirror to the steam to see if it left a residue and it did not. Are there any other ways of finding out if there truely is water in my system before i put new gaskets on throughout the top end of the engine(pain in a**).

thanks

phill

13. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    yeah, One really easy way to tell is to open up your overflow for the radiator. If you have a leaky head gasket it will push up a constant stram of bubbles into your overflow even if your engine is not too hot. Another really easy way to tell it to pull your oil cap off the valve cover. It will look like a really nasty milk shake was poured over it. There is no mistakeing it. Also, check and see if you have any white smoke comeing out of the exaust.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Pull the dipstick. If there is a substantial amount of water in the crankcase, you will have milky white foamy oil.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

15. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Wil you still see that much gunk if you only have a cracked head and not a blown gasket?

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........