Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Jun 1, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Found a 454 in a junkyard and need some advice on it. The guy said it was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago, but it spun a bearing and thats why the junkyard got it. He said he'd give me the block, heads, intake and all the brackets on it for $350. I plan on rebuilding the entire motor and getting new heads, so I'm basically just looking for a good block and all the necessary brackets. What do you think for that price? Should I get it?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

That's about an average core price for a 454 around here (minus the brackets).

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Getting all the correct brackets is typically a real pain, so those alone are worth some cash (and a lot of your time).

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea, I heard the brackets are worth their weight in gold. Thats why I asked the guy over the phone about 4 times that it for sure included ALL of the brackets. He said yes, so it sounds OK. I just need to go down and actually look at it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

we get around 400 for a "rebuilder" and 700 for a running engine around here. If you can disassemble before you take it, thats a plus. I would replace the rod that spun. just incase thats what happened the first time. I would check to see if it's been bored over and if it's in good shape. Some of the later blocks won't take more than a .030 overbore. Core shift is a problem on the later, lighter blocks. and having all the brackets is a Major Plus. Take any and all that you can!! make sure you get power steering brackets.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!