Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich'90, Jul 8, 2001.

1. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I know you guys don't like jeeps but I just rebuilt the old 350 out of my blazer(after I put a 383 in) to put in my wifes jeep. I put together the long block kit 383 and had no problems but this old engine is killing me. It runs but one exhaust is hotter than h@ll. It has dual exhaust and the even side is so hot I can't even put my hand there, the other side is cool. #8 is running hot and lean I think but I don't know why. Anyone have and suggestions? This is eating me up and I won't be able to sleep tonight if I can't figure it out.
    Thanks for any help.

Rich

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Do you still have the original TBI off your 90 Blazer on it? Sounds like a fuel distribution prob. What else did you change or mess with?

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Whats on the engine, FI, heads, cam, etc....

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</A>

4. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

got a q-jet from the yard and rebuilt it. Other than that and the different intake manifold, everything is the same from the stock 350 from a 90 blazer.

5. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Souds like a fuel problem , or a vacuum leak of the intake gasket sucking air (it wouldn't take much), do you have any body you can swap carbs with, perhaps try a holley ? Q jets can be very finicky and sensitive to debris (that french guy!) but seriously you need a good filter on it from the time you fire it up or crap gets in those metering rods and passages!!

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I thought it might be a leak on the intake also or the head so I replaced the gaskets on that one head and the intake. Pretty damn sure I did a good job this time and still the same problem.

7. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

Just to keep you guys up-dated in case anyone else has this problem. It turned out to be a combination of timing and valve adjustment. I was getting poor compression on the odd side because the valves were not closing. That head was adjusted by.....we will not mention any names(wife). So the even side was picking up alllllll the slack and running hot as sh(t. Anyway, it is fixed with the help of a compression tester and a couple of buddies.
    Thanks for the help!

Rich