Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Or should I just punch my 350 out to 355 and install the edelbrock TBI-MPFI conversion and a new cam. I gotta stay emissions legal and 383s just kinda put a whole lot of other stuff like burnin crazy chips and everything. My engine has 180K on it and has never been touched I am looking to bump up my low end torque I would love 400 lb-ft but that aint gonna happen with out a lot of cash. Any input is welcome

Ira

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you want EFI, I'd really consider doing it right the first time, and building an engine for the EFI, and put the EFI system of your choice on.

Assuming your engine doesn't need any major machining, they are pretty cheap to rebuild. Basically need a set of pistons + rings, bearings, cam + timing chain kit, an oil pump, and seals. You can get all this stuff off ebay for under 800 bucks, in high quality brand name components.

That said, if you want a good engine, the biggest thing that it needs is a good set of heads. I've come to the conclusion that when you build an engine, you need to start with the heads, then choose the other components based on your head selection.

If you went with a set of aluminum aftermarket heads with 60cc combustion chambers, you'd then want to go with a set of dished pistons to set your compression ratio at like 9.8:1, if you still want to run 87 octane, then select an EFI cam that makes power from idle through 5000 rpm, assuming you are running a stock GM EFI system. Can choose a cam that makes more power in the top end if you go with an aftermarket EFI system capable of supporting it. Keep in mind you don't want any valve overlap, and that you want an engine that idles relatively smoothly.

You'd then have a pretty stout engine, that'd be just fine with the EFI, and while it would require tuning, you'd have made it easy on yourself by building an engine that is within the EFI's capabilities to control, and just need to tweak more than anything.

Or, you can just buy a TBI crate engine, put a mild cam in her, and call her good with a stock chip, lol -- Up to how much work you're willing to do :D

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I already have a TBI 350 in my rig. My question is will the TBI bolt up to the 290 HP Goodwrench engine. Or should I just rework my TBI engine to be a 355 with a decent set of heads and a good low end cam. I do have plans to run the edelbrock MPFI conversion for my TBI stuff for better offroadability. I want something that will be reliable and still have some bottom end to it and still be able to run pump gas. For heads I was thinking of using the World S/R Torquers. I have not been able to find AFRs but I am only looking on summit and jegs. Does anyone have a good place where I can learn about AFRs and their cost? It all has to stay smog legal also:o . Should I buy a 350 block and machine it and do a complete build then swap engines?

Ira

5. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if this engine is smog legal but I plan on running it when I get enough money saved. I have e-mailed him before and he has always been really helpful plus he has really good feedback. It might be worth your time to e-mail him and ask. Also it doesnt look like he has any engines for sale right now but he makes them in batches so he should have more soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-balanced-GM-SBC-350-TBI-TPI-313hp-crate-4-bolt-main_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQitemZ8040049415

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

That is about what I am looking for. I would think it would technically be smog legal as long as I put my exhaust manifolds and air stuff on it. Not sure about the cam but I think 110 seperation is a little low for TBI but not sure. The price looks about right I do not think I could do one for under 2K. Anyone else have any input?

Ira

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sorry, didn't know you already had a TBI engine! Help if I read your sig / post a bit better eh? :)

In your case, you'll notice a huuuge difference in power simply by upgrading the camshaft with an EFI cam, and upgrading to a set of better heads. Those swirlports do meak reasonable torque, but they can most definitely be improved upon with aftermarket heads. It doesn't really matter if you are building the engine for the MPFI, or the TBI, as both will want a similar engine spec.

As far as just bolting the TBI onto the crate engine -- You will need to modify the center 4 bolt holes in the engine, and depending on the camshaft, you may want to swap to something a bit more EFI friendly, but otherwise it should be good to go, and will definitely make more power than your current stock TBI engine. Maybe look into some of the ultimate TBI mods from thirgen.org as well :)

8. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would make sure that you do your research on the MPFI conversion, you are still using your stock computer so there are some issuses that can arise when you try and drive 4 injectors vs the one. You might be better off going with TPI which cna be done for less if you shop around, there is also a lot more avaible for TPI then the MPFI conversion

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

With the kit from edelbrock they burn your chip to run 8 injectors instead of 2. From all I have read I have not seen any ill effects from it and it is C.A.R.B. approved:D . I will def be doing more research on this specially if I am going to rebuild mine into a good 355 as I will have to remove teardown have the machine work done and cam bearings installed. I will also need to decide on a good computer compatible cam that is also C.A.R.B. approved. Damn maybe I will just run it till it blows, but with my luck it will be in the middle of nowhere when it happens:doah: . So many ideas it is so frustrating.:o

Ira