Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Rattle in a 2001 Chevy Tahoe?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MT ZION, May 1, 2002.

1. MT ZION

MT ZION Registered Member

Hello,

Does anyone here own a 2001 Chevy 4x4 Tahoe? I have been noticing a rattle that seems to becoming form the engine. This doesn't happen all the time but it seems to happen the most when i'm driving over small bumps, like a stamped brick road. Does anyone have this problem or found out what it is?

Thanks,

MT ZION

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's tuff to hear and duplicate something over the "net".

Does it have this "rattle" at idle? In park? Different engne speeds?
    or
    Is it related to suspension movement? Body swayy? Steering in-put? Can you feel it, and where?

Need some mo' details to help. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

well, I'm not sure if this is the same thing or not, but because you say over small bumps etc..here's our story

both our 99 Z-71 and our '01 D/A CC had this problem...on the 99 they replaced the steering shaft- it was a recall...on the d/a the fix is

a bearing kit for the steering box- GM part ## is 26099860 this is a NEW release- as is -- within the last 7-10 days, no TSB has been released yet- only a hand full of dealers are aware of it...mine has been ordered, should be in the fixed by the end of next week...a guy on the diesel page, had his put in last week. at a dealership in NE Mass, thats where I got the part ## etc... don't let them screw around with the grease crap - its not going to work,,just tell the service guy he needs to call GM directly and order the above part- have them install it, and I can 99% guarantee it will fix it....

there is a post on thedieselpage.com titled rattle gone - or something like that its in the trucks/drivelines forum.... it has the info same as here..

like I said, I'm going to bet that its the same exact problem we have on our D/A....worth checking into the bearing kit

good luck
    Brandy

4. buick528

buick528 Registered Member

I had a '97 s-10 zr-2 and in the two years i had it i had a similar rattle that i could never find. it was only at higher accelleration