Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Rebuild Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLUEBLAZER88, Jun 22, 2006.

1. BLUEBLAZER88

BLUEBLAZER88 Registered Member

I Have A 1988 K5 On 35's....i Have Recently Upgraded To A Pretty Bad Ass Transmission But I Want To Upgrade My Engine....i Have My Eyes On A Complete Engine That Is A 454 But It Is $7,000.... And That Will Come Later......i Am Just Looking To Give My Stock 350 A Little More Growl And Power To Really Perform Well....my Blazer Is My Daily Driver So I Was Thinking Just A Minor Rebuild Kit, But If Anyone Has Any Tips Or Suggestions On Exactly What I Should Do.....I REALLY WANT MY TRUCK TO TURN HEADS AND THAT WAY I CAN COME BACK ON HERE AND TELL EVERYONE WHAT A DAMN GOOD JOB THEY DID BY GIVING AWESOME SUGGESTIONS.

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

On 35's, are you geared right? Gears will give you more performance feeling than an extra 100 horses from the motor....

More info on the whole combo as is, and where you want to end up with it please....

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It really depends on how much money you are willing to spend on a temporary engine. If it were me I would do a nice exhaust, K&N style filter, throttle body spacer and a performance chip. Internally you can bump the compression up around 10:1 (would have to run premium gas though$$$), small cam (rv/towing cam) designed for torque and you could port your heads for more air flow (cheap if you do it yourself).

Just keep in mind, the more money you spend on this engine the less money you have to go toward the one you really want. You might think about regearing (if needed) and save up for what you really want. BBC

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If he is going BBC in the semi near future, I wouldn't waste any money on lots of SBC stuff because it will not convert over to the BBC....

Gears will however....

Guess you said that already....

5. BLUEBLAZER88

I Am Pretty Sure That I Have Just 3:83 Gears....i Bought The Truck Used And That Is A Good Question That I Did Not Ask....it Drives Real Nice Now....i Just Feel That The Engine Is Not Strong Enough...

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the gears? You probably have 3.73's, not 3.83's. A healthy BBC will pull those 3.73's nicely on 35's.

Save for the BBC.

If you can't wait, I would see how good of shape the current 350 is in before spending any money on it...

7. BLUEBLAZER88

Hahahaha...i Dont Know A Whole Lot About My Truck Just Yet....but I Am Willing To Learn And Want To Do What I Can.....i Have Had My Truck For 3 1/2 Years Now And I Am Trying To Learn More About It....and This May Sound Stupid But What Is Bbc? Does That Mean Big Block Crate?

8. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

BBC = Big Block Chevy = Big Smiles, Save the pennies, get your BBC.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Pretty Bad Ass 700R4? SBC or BBC, you need to get tranny insurance to cover your "need for speed". An external cooler in addition to the factory radiator cooler, an ATF temp. gauge, and become an expert TV cable adjuster. Oh, and Mobil1 or equivalent synthetic ATF.
    Don't leave home without 'em.:D

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't bother rebuilding it. Try something like a cold air kit, TBI spacer, and a chip. Thats about all I would recomend doing because anything else would be a waste because you will need to change a lot of stuff in order to fit a BBC in.

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If the power of the stock 350 isn't enough for you, and you want to upgrade to a BBC as soon as you have enough funds, just do a good tune-up on the 350 and call it good enough for now.

Every dollar you dump in the 350 is one less dollar you have for the BBC, and just delays that upgrade.

12. BLUEBLAZER88

Yeah It Is A 700r4 From Mad Dog Transmissions And I Love It....probobly Not The Best For Wheelin But As My Daily Driver It Kicks.....thanks For All The Replys....yeah I Guess I Better Just Save Up For That Big Block I Want.... I Dont Know If Anyone Has Heard Of "kriner" Motors, But He Builds Them Mainly For Sprint Cars, Well My Stepsisters Grandfather Had Him Build One For An Old Hot Rod He Had And It Is Mean.....so That Might Be An Option....its Just Going To Take Alot Of Money

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just remember one thing, if this still needs to be smog legal you better check with your local smog referee to find out what they will or will not allow. It would suck to spend all kinds of money on something that you won't be able to get past a smog check. Here in California you are allowed to upgrade engine size as long as the donor engine is the same year or newer as the vehicle it is being installed in and must have the most recent equipment on it and also you cannot remove the fuel injection and put a carb. With that being said if you do have an engine built you MUST be very careful as to what cam is choosen otherwise the ECM will not like it and the engine will run like crap.