Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine rebuild kits? Where to buy from?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, May 26, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Greetings all... real straight forward question... where do you guys/gals buy your rebuild kits at? I've got a solid 4-bolt 350 block with a one piece rear seal. It died due to spun bearings on 1,2,3 & 4 rods, and nearly spun # 1 main. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

SO, I am looking for a COMPLETE KIT that includes a 1 piece rear seal crank. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

-Dan

2. KRAZIE87K5

So far I've found:

Track Pro

Power House

Green Bay Parts

I'd like to get everything for around... well... $600 tops. I'd rather get a kit w/o a cam so I could buy an after market cam. Ideas?

-Dan

3. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

One that suggested to me was:
    http://www.northernautoparts.com/

Here is a really good Canadian source: (PDF Catalogs)
    http://hi-performance.com/

I've been corresponding with hi-performance.com and they have been extremely helpful. They sell package deal shortblock rebuild kits with the usual rings, seals, gaskets, bearings assortment all of quality brand names with upgrade options. These kits do not include a camshaft and lifters and retail for about $215 CND, so probably $170 US. I haven't seen _ANYBODY_ come even close to matching their prices.

4. 78GMC1/2TON4x4

78GMC1/2TON4x4 1/2 ton status

5. KRAZIE87K5

You've gotta be kidding... they get something like $875 just for a rebuild kit for a 350!!! Forget them. I might pay for brand name, but I won't pay top dollar for a third party to resell their junk to me. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

You can always check the local NAPA or Autozone. There was another place PAW but you have to order their catalog ($5) and have part numbers before you can order online

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'll second PAW! I've got the catalog and there prices are pretty good! Too many options though, that's the hard part! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Northern Autoparts
    With a couple of basic upgrades its still very affordable.

9. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Northern! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

www.speedomotive.com and Flatlander Racing High Performance if you wanna go up in performance, and still stay affordable.

11. MOTORHEAD

MOTORHEAD Registered Member

Another vote for PAW. Got mine from there.

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I bought a kit from POWERHOUSE and they were the most economical I could find.
    Great prices.

-- Mike

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Go to Northern dude! I just started work there yesterday! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The 350 engine kit is only $155 and its all name brand stuff. The one piece kit is a little higher, but still not bad. Just about everything is Federal Mogul/Speed-Pro in the kit. The Oil pump and timing set are from Melling, gaskets are Victor Reinz (Dana) and the frost plug kit is from Pioner. You can upgrade to different everything if you want. Fel-Pro, Clevite, etc. Hey, call between 1-5 and ask for Gary. He's showing me all the ropes and I get to listen in, lol.

14. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

If you're an engine machine shop its hard to top EPW. They don't however sell to anyone that doesn't know how to run a boring bar and hone...

Here where I work we get a lot of customers bring in parts from Northern. If you want a stock kit, I guess thats fine. The people that I know that have dealt with them say that returning anything is a pain in the ass. But then what did you expect if its a company that sells 350 kits for 150 bucks.

I'm not a big fan of Federal Mongrel parts. Their pistons are pretty rough looking, and usually require honing the pin bore to achieve propper clearance. Most machine shops don't even bother mic'ing this part of an engine. They figure that its press fit anyhow and "what the hell." Most of the kits I buy for long blocks I try to use Badger and Silvo-Lites. Badger just went tits up a while ago, so its been fun trying to get the more obscure stuff...

And whenever ordering a kit for a chevy small block, tell them you want a double row timing set. There's no excuse to put a bicycle chain back in a new engine. And also remember, if you want to play, ya' gotta pay. Most 350s I build have a 1450-2200 dollar price tag, and only about 1100 of that is labor...

15. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Nah, returns are no biggie. Just get it back 30 days before your order date and in unused condition. You get hit with a 15% restocking after that time. Takes like 30 days to get a return check cut though. We sell the kits for $155 to get people to call. That kit alone makes very little for us, the upgrades is where its at. You don't have to stick with a stock kit if you want, thats why there's upgrades.

Its only my second day and some of the calls have been reeeeeeally interesting. I'd be more apt to blame some of the people ordering, then the company selling. Some people know whats goin on and its a breeze placing orders. We do over a thousand calls a day.

[ QUOTE ]
    But then what did you expect if its a company that sells 350 kits for 150 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Did you try Northern Auto Supply. They have a small catalog and it should have the parts you need.