Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine rebuild questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 12, 2002.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

i have a 350 that is just in need of a crank. (the keyhole on the end sheared off one day= engine running no belts turning.)
    internally everything is fine but i want to do it right before i put it in another blazer. should i replace the timing chain while the engine is out? i assume seals would be smart. what about bearings? should those be replaced? is it worth my money to have it bored bigger? how much bigger? will i sacrifice gas mileage. i love the horsepower dont get me wrong but it will be my daily driver. thanks

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

As for the timing chain, I highly recommend changing it out. Anytime I have an engine out and it either has a lot of miles, hard miles, or don't know miles on it, I always replace the water pump, timing chain/gears, seals and gaskets. These things don't cost much money and are a HECK of a lot easier to swap out with the engine out of the vehicle than with it in.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are replacing the crank, it would be pretty foolish IMO not to get new bearings. Kinda like reusing any old lifter laying around when you swap in a new cam.

You are talking about boring it and all of that, sounds like money isn't so tight that you can't do the engine "right", so why not rebuild the whole thing? Definitely not "cheap" but it would be insurance.

4. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I would suggest new rod and main bearings and rings since you will have it all apart anyway, along with a new timing chain, and all new seals and gashets. I see no need to bore it until it needs it. How many miles are on your motor ? If it is alot you might want to consider a new cam & lifters, oil pump, etc.

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

someone had mentioned gear drive. what exactly is that. they referred to it in respect to the timing chain. i though i had heard of it replacing my belts.

6. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Probably refering to gear driven cam. You can replace the timing chain with a gear drive. They are noisey, and from what I've heard the "quiet gear drive" is still noisey. They are more accurate and a big benifit for very high RPM engines. They will supposedly last longer than chains. I have considered this mod for durability but I think the noise would get old with a topless vehicle.