Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Rebuild Selection Help (Long Read)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noahrob, Nov 27, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Guys,

This is going to be a long involved series of questions, but I need to rely on your collective wisdom, ‘cuz I ain’t got none.:crazy: Seriously, I am inexperienced and am asking for your help. I am currently running a 383 with a stage II Q-Jet and SM465. I want to go to fuel injection. Initially I thought about just adding an aftermarket Fuel Injection system to my 383, but after some thought (and a compression test that yielded unfavorable numbers) I decided that in order to do that I need to rebuild my 383. After a little more thought, I start looking at crate engines and then adding aftermarket FI since my patience, facilities, and willingness to have my truck out of commission are all short. Then I got to thinking some more (please do not tell my wife I was thinking so much, it makes her nervous) and thought that the Ramjet would be the ideal choice. Here is my thinking...

Option 1

Rebuild my 383 = $2000 (takes into consideration the tools I do not have, machine shop, and parts)
    Aftermarket FI =$1700
    Total = $3700

Issues:
    1) I am not experienced at rebuilding engines.
    2) I know jack crap about FI
    3) Truck in pieces for a significant amount of time
    4) No warranty

Option 2

Crate engine $2500
    Aftermarket FI =$1700
    Total = $4200

Issues:
    1) I know jack crap about FI i.e. Tuning etc…
    2) Warranty on FI and engine different

Option 3

Ramjet 350 - $5000

Issues:
    1) None that I can think of

Questions:
    1) Are my assumptions remotely accurate?
    2) Do you have any experience you can share with me?
    3) Do you have any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you for your input and patience in reading this long a*s post.

2. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Sure the Ramjet is great and all but I don't know your budget, I see it as being the quickest.
    A 383 with FI is going to lean towards tuning and burning chips, which you have to learn to do. But it usually comes out more rewarding because you get to know how to tune you system on the fly, but it takes alittle to get your settings were you want them and they might never be perfect for you.
    Crate engines are great, but once again you have to learn to tune FI.
    Personally I would go with the ramjet if I was you, but I don't know your budget.
    I rebuilt my tbi 350 to a 355 used the Edelbrock Multi-Point Performer EFI system. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/efi/multi-point_efi_main.shtml

3. noahrob

Thanks, looks like the Edelbrock system uses the stock computer which I do not have. You are 100% correct that budget is everything. My thinking is something along the lines of spend the money once if you have to instead of three or four times to get it right.

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Most aftermarket FI systems can be tuned using a laptop (even on the fly) so burning chips is not an issue. I have heard that they make it very easy to tune.

The 383 will likely make more power and/or torque than the ramjet, but you won't have warranty and you will have to spend some time tuning it. I think it should be between those two. It kinda sounds like you already know what you want to do.

You won't be dissapointed with either! :D

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How much can you get into one of the 6L setups for? That's the way to do it, power, economy, and injection. :)

Talk to RyanB.

6. chris85

chris85 1/2 ton status

why would you have to rebuild the 383 in order to convert to fi? what about it would need to be changed?

7. noahrob

The 383 needs to be rebuilt, not for FI, but becasue it is due. In other words, I don't want to invest teh money in FI on an engine that needs to be gone through.

I thought about the 6, Ryan B. has posted some great info, but based on my research that is a crap load more work than I believe I am capable of doing.0

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

That edelbrock kit you posted, any idea on a price....I like the looks of it, especially seeing what it comes with:D

9. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

10. NEK5

11. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

12. NEK5

Nope, you were right, you do need it. Its a higher pressure one, cost about 100 extra.

How do you like the kit so far?