Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine rebuild update and a question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 27, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm almost done with the engine rebuild.
    I have the block put back togetherand the heads on and the intake on. Just have to adjust the rockers, put on the oil pan and valve covers, put in the distributor, and put the accessories on. Looking good.
    Now the question. I drained the oil out of the old motor last night and I see the ugly site of antifreeze in it. Well that gives an idea of why it quit running. As far as I can tell, there are two reasons why that happened.
    1. Cracked block (not likely I think since it wasn;t even really warmed up yet.)
    2. Blown head gasket or intake gasket, which is what I'm thinking.
    Any opinions?
    I think the block gasket is realistic since I was driving the truck and it just suddenly lost power like it ran out of gas.
    I check the compression on no. 1 cyl. and it was a weak 60 psi. It makes sense that the head gasket blew and lost compression and no more power and not enough compression to fire.
    Ok, I rambled enough.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

The only way to tell for sure is tear it down... How could you possibly resist not ripping into it after you got it out. That is self discipline man. As soon as I get an engine out it is apart, I don't care if I have to call in sick.
    (1) was it smoking when it died?
    (2) is there oil in the radiator?

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>See my pics here</a>

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm with Chevyracing, you've got discipline!!! I didn't even take my dad's old caddy motor off the trailer before pulling the top-end off... Procrastination caught up, though, and I haven't touched it in a month...

I'd say head gasket too, if you have anti-freeze oil and low compression.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It wasn't smoking except a little on start up that I attribute to worn valve guides.
    There wasn't any oil THAT I SAW in the antifreeze, but I wasn't really looking because i let it drain while I was taking stuff off the engine (like spark plug wires and the lot.)
    But I surely saw the antifreese in the oil.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>