Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, May 15, 2005.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

I currently have a 88 Blazer with a 350 engine in it. Now im not a very big motor head but I do love autmotive stuff. Motor runs good expect the headers need new gaskets because I have a tick sound but I just want to squeeze the most power from the engine. Now this is my personal truck and I do go offroading every once and awhile but its mostly for driving. Im 15 so it doesn't matter at all how long the truck is down I don't have a busy adult life and get rides to work and summer is in a week so I have plenty of time to do this. Now I have been looking at everyones engine rebuilds and new engines on ebay just to look at what I can do with the right stuff and this one engine glanced at my eye
    Here
    Now its a 383 but can I rebuild my 350 to that model? If not is there a way to get 500hp out of it like this one and not have to use a super charger or turbo. Also can I use the parts that the guy put in that engine on mine for the rebuild and get much better hp because I believe a stock 383 has around 360 hp right? Well I just want to do this and sorry I'm a newbie but I have been taking an engines class for about a year now and have come much further then what I was at you have to start somewhere. Also what exhaust system should I get I want hedman headers or something better and dual pipes stainless steel with glass pack mufflers and chrome bowtie exhaust ends. I really want this thing to be and beast and last alot longer, it has about 170,000 miles on it.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think if you're wanting a 500HP engine, you're going to be spending alot of money. Just look into the cost of parts. My other question is, how do you drive if you're 15? Learners? If you have the money and you really want to do it, pick up a book abou rebuilding chevy's. There are a few out there. I picked up a really good one, the name is evading me at the moment but just look around.

3. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Do some reading. Read magazines and books that explain how to rebuild a 350. The more you read and understand, the better you motor will come out. Chevy High Performance, Car Craft, etc. are good magazines that always have articles about rebuilding engines. Check those out and get some ideas...

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Whatever you approximate it will cost and how long it will take, multiply that by 2 and you'll be close.

5. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Well yes I assumed it would cost alot of cash and yes I have my learners I admit im not supposed to legally drive without an over 21 driver next to me but I do sometimes short distances and going offroad :crazy: . I'm getting my license in a month. I will look up chevy rebuild books and ask my instructor about it. I noticed this guy has a carb on this engine. Are carbs better in some cases for power than fuel injectors? The carb is a Edelbrock performance Series carburetor 750 electric choke looks good and has a good price also any better carbs you think I should try instead?

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Carbs are good for simplicity's sake. I think its also easier to get high flow out of them because race carbs are readily available. Fuel injection is good because it'll run at all angles but you better know your sh*t if you wanna fix one. Thats why I have stuck to the carbs so far.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Also, don't forget the little things; like carb+choke cleaner out the wazoo, PB Cleaner, and air tools help. Air tools like impacts, and especially die grinders (use a brush pad for cleaning gasket surfaces). RTV, Shellac (good idea to shellac things like head bolts and whatnot), copper gasket spray and gaskets (make sure you get the right gasket set for your engine... some gasket sets apply to all 350's, some don't). If you're gonna bore out the engine, buy the oversize pistons before you get the machining done so the machine shop can match bore size to piston size.

There's ::a lot:: of small little things like that that some people don't think of when they start an engine rebuild project.

8. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

lol well see down the road carbs are one thing on an engine that I really know lol but I'll keep the fuel for now. Now if I bored the engine .030 over I would have to get bigger piston wouldn't I so I dont have alot of blow by or am I wrong. Also if I do replace the pistons are they flat or domed on a 350?

9. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Nevermind I just saw your post about oversized pistons. Also would it be wize to screw with the timing and replace it or not?

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

You will want a new timing set, and probably cam/lifters/pushrods/rockers at least... depends on how far you take it. Don't forget about the crank, connecting rods, bearing undersize, your overall cylinder head shape (might need new heads if you don't want to redo all the valves). Also, your harmonic dampner will most likely need a speedy sleeve unless you buy a new dampner. Most rebuild kits comes with pieces you need, just need to specify bore oversize, bearing undersize, and whatnot.

11. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt recommend getting a 500hp motor. I would advise getting "John Lingenfelter on modifying small-block Chevy engines", has a ton of good info. I would just get good heads, matching cams and intake. Something like the Edelbrock performer head/cam/intake would be good because they have fairly small runners that make good torque. You could get the bottom end rebuilt and some new pistons and if you run aluminum heads you can raise your compression more. I think the problem your going to run into is getting fuel to the engine, your gonna need a chip and what not. I would talk to local machine shops and see what they recommend and they can help you build the motor.

Later

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

a little advice.... SLOW DOWN. That 383 on ebay will go up past 6k by the time its done and i wouldn't be suprised if it was alot higher than that.

You have a lot to learn about motors... 500 hp for your first truck is insanity. you barely have any time behind the wheel. Wait until you get some time under your belt before you go balls out blow every dime i have on the motor. Theres TONS of mods you can do to a rig without touching the motor to make it KILL other rigs with twice the power out on the trail. That is unless you plan to do nothing but mud. Still will need tires, axles, lockers, gears, lift or cutting. Beleive me i've had the same itch where i want the baddest motor ever made but once you get behind a rig with 275 hp you will be plenty happy droppin the hammer. I used to want nothing below 400 hp until I found out what 350 hp feels like.

If you go FI expect to spend about 1200 more than you would for a carb setup. I bought a mild/hot 355 off ebay which i decided to stick with FI and i will be paying 500 for a prominator, labtop, and tuning software(needed to get the motor to run right with FI) after i spent 350 on a holley tbi, 200 on a holley efi manifold, 150 on a fuel pump, and am gonna get a new cam and heads pretty soon.

MY originaly budjet was 1500 bucks. I will have blown over 3500 when its all said and done but will have a 390 hp 430 ft lb beast of a sb which i will be plenty happy with. 500 hp is not easy to accomplish practically on a dd unless its forced induction. By the way a low boost supercharger (5 psi) will add another 150 hp on a 300 hp motor and will last suprisingly long if you maintain it. wouldn't be suprised if it went 200,000 miles.

It is very possible to get 500 hp but you'll be gettin about 8 mpg if your lucky with a choppy cam, and you'll most likely have to rebuild your entire driveline to handle that kind of power...

theres not really a "stock" 383. some come with 425 hp right from gm and others 325 hp.

I'd suggest something along the lines of 300 hp for your first rig. beleive me... if you had 500 hp under the hood you would ether break sh$t daily or wreck it.

Can you rebuild motors? are you doing this with help or by yourself?

As said before pick up some books on sb's and read up... all your questions can be answered in those books.