Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine rebuild

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bear76, Dec 28, 2006.

1. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

In my search for a cheap 4bt (:haha: ) I noticed some rebuildable cores on ebay. Would it be hard and/or worth it to by a core and rebuild it myself? Or should I drop 4K for a rebuilt or new engine?

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Depends. I've seen several good 4BTs for under $2,000. Sometimes you can catch a delivery van that's been rebuilt just before it was retired.

Do you only want rebuilt? That is an engine with low miles won't do?

Do you have the time / skills to rebuild one?

I have run across some fantastic deals on 4BTs. Of course that was after I bought a 6.5:haha:

While I was looking at 4BTs I kept running across info that they could be modded to 300 HP. I never did find anyone that had one or could say how. I do believe around 200hp wouldn't be very hard though.:D

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I figured it would come out cheaper to rebuild one. I've never rebuilt an engine but, I wouldn't mind learning. If I can find a low mileage engine for less than 2k that would be great.

On a side note I had a running p30 with the 4bt th400 lined-up to buy this summer, before I learned how rare they seemed to be. I could have paid 1500 but I wanted to haggle down to $1100. Lost that deal:doah:

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Been there done that :doah:
    As for rebuilding, it will cost you more than getting a rebuilt, it costs too much to rebuild diesels. :o
    Just keep your eye on some low miles or good running trucks.