Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine rebuilding questions regarding parts to purchase

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jul 22, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok, last week I posted some questions regarding head to block combinations. Well, now I need to buy the following:

pushrods
    lifters
    rockers
    headgaskets

Now, what brand/combo do I buy? I do have the lifters in the block that I bought, but do not have the pushrods and am missing a couple of rockers, so I thought it would be better to change them all(do i need to?)

The block is a 350, 1986(and up) and the heads are "14102193...87-up...305/350......1.94"/1.5" valves"

I am willing to pay a little bit more than average price for quality.

If you could, please recommend some mfg's or brands to buy, set or separate.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    thanks a ton
    Paul

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Before you go buying rockers you need to make sure of which style you have. There is the old conventional type then there are the later guided tip type. GM was using both in the same years for a while but the heads are what is going to tell you which type you need. Look at the pushrod hole in the head, if it is a round hole you need the guided type, if it is an elongated hole then you need the older conventional type. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

just checked, they are not round, more rectangular, so I will assume that these are elongated. Ok, so i will get the older conventional type. Any particular brand? Was a Summitracing.come and there was toooo many choices. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

193's use the older style, I am swapping them on the 'Burb now /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Why new lifters? Are you changing out the cam? If not, the lifters should stay positioned in the hole they are in. These develop a wear pattern with the camshaft that 'should' not be disturbed.

If there is nothing special about this engine, I would just pick up some stock replacements for it. I have used Comp Cams $27 p'rods without any problems - in a Pontiac I built and revved pretty high....

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

So I don't need lifters? Cool. So is there a set of rockers and pushrods that I can purchase aftermarket or should I hit the gm dealer for a set? If you have a suggested part(s) number, that would be great.

thanks again everyone,
    Paul

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is the engine hydraulic flat tappet or roller cam? The pushrods are different between the two different type cams. Any brand is fine really, unless you have a huge cam with lots of valve spring pressure.

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

what you doing with the motor? if it is completely tore down, get a felpro complete gasket set. the local parts place has them for $37 OTD so if you can't find any for a similar price, PM me.

pushrods, stock replacement work fine on a fairly stock motor. i use these ive also used what the auto parts place has for $1.50 each.

lifters, ive used federal mogal that lasted about 1 month. used comp ever since

rockers, i would upgrade to a roller tip, like these

i like comp products, used crane a few times also.

9. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

What he said.... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Some GM dealers are reasonable on their prices, and some are gouge freaks. Use a decent parts store and hope to see them carry a name you know, like Perfect Circle, Federal Mogul, Sealed Power. They make pretty decent stuff, and I 'think' it is still made in the U.S.A. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

doh, im a moron. i forgot your using the 86 and newer block so i think the gaskets are different. ill get a price for them also though. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Just a note, I am not changing cams so is it still ok to change the lifters? Also, the cost of the roller rockers is a bit higher than I want to spend, so I'll probably get a set of stock ones.

Would it be bad to take the pushrods and rockers(used) from another block and heads? or is that asking for trouble?

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

used ones are OK....New replacements are pretty cheap....roll new or used p rods on a piece of glass and check for straightness.

Or just buy new replacements for the misssing ones. I would not put new lifters in on top of an old cam, you might wipe the cam out. Did you ever determine if it was a roller cam or not?

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't reuse the pushrods.

As was mentioned, roll them on a piece of glass to check for straightness. I pulled all 16 out of a motor that ran perfectly, and about half had some bend to them. It just happens after 20+ years I guess.

As to rockers, well, you can re-use them, but stock replacements should be pretty cheap. About the only failures I can think of are them cracking or the pushrod going through the end, but I think that is on higher stress applications. Have you checked into the roller tip rockers? I thought they were pretty cheap. IMO they are kind of worthless, as I see it, the fulcrum is where all of the load is, and where most of the power loss is, but if thats all you can afford...

I wouldn't put new lifters on an old cam. You CAN do it (and I have with no problem) but you are running a risk doing so. If the ones in there now aren't making noise when first started, I'd leave them alone. Stock lifters work well for a LONG time, but with 16 per engine, some people are certainly going to have one or two go bad. Statistically it's probably pretty rare for lifters to start ticking in SBC engines, there are so many SBC's out there. You'll see no advantage by changing the lifters, (some exceptions, but higher $$ lifters) it's not like they see much wear.