Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Rebuilt,Same old STORY!!!! EATING COOLANT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unsane, Dec 5, 2002.

1. unsane

unsane Guest

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifWell I just finished starting my new rebuilt engine for the first time. Guess What? It is eating the coolant and burning it out the exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!!!! This is the exact reason I rebuilt it to BEGIN with /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif! A little background for everyone.
    1 jimmy gets hot - got new thermostat
    2 worked good for 2 days then radiator sprung a leak
    3 bought new radiator
    4 worked fine for approx 2 weeks then started getting hot again
    5. again changed thermotat
    6 engine ate up all coolant 5 or 6 times got hot!
    7. figured had a bad headgasket so decided to rebuild 130k
    8. sent everything to a "very good " machine shop
    9 .030 over, heads reworked, block heads blasted and baked
    10. everything checked good
    11 rebuilt
    12. started it ran fine for approx 5 minutes then ATE the coOLANT again.
    13. $1000 dollars and still at sqaure 1 WTF????? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyone have any ideas
    warped head?
    Cracked head?

It eats the coolant in a matter of 1-2 minutes so it would have to be a major crack or leak somewhere and should have been easily seen at the machine shop right? Please help I am losing patience fast with this thing!!!!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Warped head, cracked head, or warped block. Could be a cracked block too I guess. They didn't magnaflux the block and heads?
    </font color>

3. unsane

unsane Guest

YEp everything was fluxed also....I think im going to puke /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had a block that checked out flat - by a machine shop. But it still leaked coolant. RAN GREAT though.

I had the block decked - all is well now.

Good luck.

5. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

How is your intake manifold????

6. unsane

unsane Guest

brand new performer tbi, i replacedit in case the o e intake was cracked....

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I would first start with a compression test. You say that the coolant is leaving via the exhaust pipe, so it is getting into the cylinders some how. I once had a cracked head that would shoot the dreaded white steam out the pass. side exhaust pipe. I ran a compression test and found that #6 had about 100 psi less than the rest of the cylinders. Your cylinders should test very close with such a fresh motor. Also, look at the spark plugs as you remove them, and look for one that is cleaner than the others. This could be an indication of a "steam cleaned" cylinder.

As was mentioned, check the intake and gaskets. It could be leaking coolant into the intake ports.

If you check these things and all looks well, find a shop that can pressurize your cooling system, you may be able to hear air leaking from a crack. Good Luck!!

8. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

Get a cylinder dual leak down guage and test each cylinder @TDCC. That'll tell you if you have a particular cylinder causing the problem. You will fill each cylinder independantly with a set amount of air pressure. If you fill the cyl with 70psi you should have close to 70 psi on the gauge,(10% leakage is acceptable) You will most likely see air bubbles in the coolant when you find the affected cylinder. If no leakage is found at any particular cylinder I would re-check the intake and gaskets. Pressure test the radiator.

9. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

If you find after doing a cylinder leak down test which cylinder it is have the head pressure tested. I had one crack by the spark plug hole letting coolant in. Cannot magna flux a plug hole. Found the crack by pressure testing the head. I know how you feel. Hopefully your machinist will give you a break on the pressure test cost.

10. unsane

unsane Guest

you would think a crack that drains the entire cooling system in a minute or less would be visable! I mean thats a lot of coolant gone quick. I am thinking maybe the head is just warped? All I know is I am broke, I have spent way to much on ths engine already and the old Lady isnt to pleased about it. Now I have to break the news that I have to buy a new head, Or worse I just rebuilt a cracked block!!! I dont want to sound like a complainer, but damn its cold out there and I am getting Flippin sick of freezing my ass off for no pay-off ya know? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I would be talking to the machine shop who did the work for you. Usually most people are willing to help you if they make a mistake. Heres a really stupid question that I have to ask. How are you filling the cooling system? Are you filling it thru the raidiator and letting it burp when the thermostat opens topping off the cooling system after that, or are you putting all the hoses on except the upper one and the thermostat housing filling the system thru the intake? I have found this way of filling your cooling system gets alot of the air pockets out and your cooling level will not drop as much when the thermostat opens. Leave the raidiator cap off while filling thru the intake. Your filling the motor full, then heating system then the raidiator. I know its backwards but it works. Loosing that much coolant into a cylinder or cylinders will cause a hydrostatic lock and will bend something like a rod or twist a crank. Coolant will not compress and something has to give. Do you see a ton of steam out of the exhaust when the motor is running? I know it is cold out and your exhaust will be hot and you will have some steam but if the coolant leak is that bad it should smell like burning antifreez and really load the motor up and it will run crappy. I hope this might help. Like I said above if it is a machine shop problem hopefully the machinist will work with you. Dno't let it drive you crazy. Its the simple stuff that will give you fits. Later Slider

12. unsane

unsane Guest

UPDATE-
    UnFreekinbalievable, the engine temp is fine now it runs like a champ, and IT IS NOT EATING COOLANT NOW!!! WTF???? I ran it at about 2500 rpm for a good half an hour to get a good cam breakin and it ran sweet no problems what so ever. Now the only prob is the WATER in the 700r4!!!! Does anyone think this could have been the problem all along? Also can you drain and flush a 700 that has a milky looking fluid? I just want it to get me by until spring when I can get an art carr or something. The guy at the tranny shop says no way!!!! He says the clutches are toast at the first hint of water. Is this true? Anyway thanks for everyones help, this board and site is a life saver sometimes...... STill want to know why I lost all the coolant to begin with though. Maybe it was the coolant MONSTER.....Thanks -Eric

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well it all depends how much total you had to put in it, you have to remember you had a bone dry engine, so it should take several gallons, I think 10-13 gallons total.
    What happened is that you had the T stat closed and you'd think it was full then run the engine and it would suck the coolant in and you would think it's gone.
    After a few sessions it was full and it worked.
    As long as you didn't fill your neighborhood with wite smoke, you weren't getting the coolant in the engine.
    I had that once and believe me you will notice it.
    It took about 20 minutes for the air to clear, but mine was straight tap water no colant so no smell.
    Now about the tranny, if the guy is right, all you would loose is the cost of the coolant.
    What I did was changed the coolant and the filter, then ran the engine untill it warmed up and drove it around for an hour very mild flat ground driving, with the dip stick off so the water would evaporate through the tube, it worked.
    Since he says it's toast anyway right?
    I was fine for 3 years, and now it's parked waiting for me to drive it again.

14. unsane

unsane Guest

changed the filter and tranny fluid. drove t for 30 minutes and checked it again, looks just like a strawberry milkshake! I doubt i will ever get all the water and contaminated fluid out now considering its prob in the torque converter and all the valvebodies. Anybody ever tried the Tranny flush that midas offers? they say it cleans 100 percent.

15. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Had the trany flushed on the tow rig and it does flush all the fluid out

16. unsane

unsane Guest

But will it remove the water also?

17. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yes it works great!!!

Worth the 65 bucks!!!!
    Well worth it!!!

Sorry to hear about your motor probs...
    They suck, I know.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

18. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Might be something you already thought of, but was your old radiator or new radiator maybe leaking? I mean do you have an automatic with the built in cooler in the radiator. I did and got a new one and it leaked and my radiator fluid looked like strawberry milk. I got a new one from the shop I got it from and it took me like 5 or 6 complete flushes to clean it out. Just make sure you radiator fluid is not mixing with your tranny fluid.

19. unsane

unsane Guest

Well I have thought of that. The thing I am doing now is to return the radiator to Autozone and get a new one, then go to midas and get a tranny flush(ill do this before I get the new RADiator????) But anyway I filed a claim with autozone. They say it takes 6 to 8 weeks to find anything out and I wil need an estimate on a new tranny. I told the guy at the parts counter $1500 he says he needs it on paper. This one guy at Autozone is always a real Ass to me. We got into an aurgument over weather or not there was a TOOL to install a Harmonic Balancer(He said "Just put it on with the bolt, there is no such tool for installing balancers) So anyway i think he was being rude to me about the radiator saying it was gonna take 6-8 weeks to deciede if they are going to reimburse me for a NEW tranny or not. By the way the RAdiator was a new one not a reman....Im done babling now -Thanks and your k5 is looking great.

20. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey, I work for Autozone and it just might take 6-8 weeks to clear up all the money issues. They arn't pulling your leg on that one.
    Blake