Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine removal question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ErikH, Jun 16, 2004.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hey people...
    I'm in the process of removing my old 350 from my '71 K5, but I've never removed an engine with a manual tranny and now I have a couple questions...

Basically, what's the process here? I have both the Haynes and Chilton books and they describe a rather simple process, but they seem to skip a few steps... or maybe I've become overly suspicious of their knack for leaving out critical info. Can anyone help here? Do I need specialized tools? Thanks in advance...

Tech info:
    350 with SM465/NP205

-Erik

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

unhook all the wiring, vacuum hoses, gas lines. remove the motor mount bolts, remove the 6 boll housing bolts, don't forget the metal shield on the front of the bellhousing near the oil pan. remove radiator, hoses, and fan. remove accesories (alternator, AC pump, powersteering pump) remove the hood. drain all the fluids. then grab ahold of the motor and lift. go slow making sure everything is disconected /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

oh yea don't forget to support the tranny when removing the motor.

4. lason

lason 1/2 ton status

I personally prefer to remove the engine and tranny together since your going to have to drop the tranny to put it all back together anyway (to line up the splines on the clutch and tranny) but the above info is about right. Also it isnt that hard to remove the front clip and that will make it SOOOOOOOO much easier in my opinion.

5. lugnut

lugnut 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally prefer to remove the engine and tranny together since your going to have to drop the tranny to put it all back together anyway (to line up the splines on the clutch and tranny) but the above info is about right. Also it isnt that hard to remove the front clip and that will make it SOOOOOOOO much easier in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you use a line up tool you wont have to drop the trans to get things hooked back up.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont forget the tourque converter bolts!! I had to pull an engine out of a chevy truck that was seized tight,and no way to get the bolts out,so I had to leave it bolted to the flexplate and let the converter come out with the engine.
    Pulling Tourque converter out of full transmission== BIG MESS!--like a gallon or two of dextron to swim in when you put the good motor in! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif