Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine removal

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by robg, Oct 8, 2001.

1. robg

robg Registered Member

Has anyone used a regular engine hoist to pull their engine? IM wondering if I will be able to get it up high enough to clear the grill. I have a 4 inch lift with 35,s. I’m thinking I could put back on the stock wheels to get it a little lower or if needed take the wheels off and put it on stands. I’m just not sure how high I can get the engine up there on the hoist. Another idea was to build a platform out of say cinder blocks and plywood.
    Has anyone done something similar?

Rob

2. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

be very careful using cinder blocks, they can crumble. I lifted a blazer about 6yrs ago and had it sitting on some cinder blocks overnight and in the morning I came out to find that one of them was cruched and the truck had almost fallen.

a word to the wise is sufficient..

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd say put back on your old stock rims and let all the air out of the tires if it still isn't enough. That sounds like the safest way.

4. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I hear down south they park underneath large limbs and use comealongs!! LOL!

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

5. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Remove the tires altogether and just let the axles set on safty stands. Thats what I did.

6. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Where do you live, if it is close to Arriba, Colorado....383 mile marker on I-70 you can use mine. It will take the engine out of a semi truck id need be.
    John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

7. robg

robg Registered Member

John
    IM located in Portland OR so it would be a little far. But hey thanks a lot for the offer. I think I will be able to work it out.

8. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

That would be kind of a jaunt just for a cherry picker. Your welcome anyhoo!!! Good luck.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]