Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine replaced?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Nov 30, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

How can I tell if my engine has been replaced? When I bought the K5 they told me the engine only had about 15k on it, but they had replaced it 3 years ago. The engine just doesn't seem like it is that new. Already have some oil leaking out of the valve covers and that sort of thing. So is there a way I can tell?

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check the block code to see if it is the right block for your year. There will be a small pad prtruding from under your passenger side head. It will have a (3) letter code and then a series of numbers. Call Summit with that (3) letter code and numbers.

Other than that, you will probably need to open it up.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

5. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Engine codes

I have the engine code book if you want to e-mail me with the code I will help you. And you can buy the book from various sorts. I usually get the casting number which is on driver side on the bellhousing and check that also, If the deck has been milled on the block then the codes won't be there. Some years they even stamped the last six or eight digits of the vin under the 3 letter block code. E-mail with your code and I will check it. And if you want or the code is gone e-mail me with the casting number from the block and can get an idea of what years it is out of.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)