Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine restore

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 Jimmy, Sep 24, 2006.

1. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

anyone ever use the engine restore junk???

my motor is pretty worn out and tends to smoke alot, i have a new motor but am waiting to put it in till i have everything for my TPI swap

well i guess the question is, does that junk work???

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

from what i have hurd it will hurt more in the long run then it helps, but since your swapping out motors, you dont care, it might help a little for some of your problems

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

from what i have hurd it will hurt more in the long run then it helps, but since your swapping out motors, you dont care, it might help a little for some of your problems

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

6. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I have mixed thoughts on it. I once talked to a mechanic that said to put restore or any engine additive in b4 you change the oil. What will happen is, the oil filter may actually capture the thicker additives and not actually allow them to work thru the motor and will clog the filter. When the filter is clogged, there is a bypass, that is why you would wanna run it right b4 ya change your filter and oil. To allow the additive to actually work thru the motor. Weather this is truthful or jus some random thoughts, I have no idea. Ive used it, but honestly couldnt tell if it helped or hurt. I havent seen anything work in motors, except Marval Mystery oil for sticky lifters.

7. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have used it with good results. The vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 V8. When I got it it had 92K on it. Used 2-3 quarts of oil between changes, every 3-4k miles. Before taking it on a trip to Florida I added Restore during an oil change. Used 1 quart down and back... I've been using it every oil change ever since, Jeep has 162K miles on it now. I believe in the stuff. I've also tried going without it, oil consuption goes right back up without restore.

8. 85 Jimmy

85 Jimmy Sheepdog Premium Member

so i guess as long as i continue to use it it'll work

the only reason i'm even worried about it is b/c it get's alittle embarrasing when i pull up next to a hot girl with her windows down, then i pull away and i blow alot of smoke right into her window...

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I use the stuff, and haven't really noticed any difference. I think I am getting more smoke on startup now. Maybe i need to change my oil again?

10. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

Most of those type of products, ie, those that "reduce oil consumption" are usually just a load of viscosity improvers, which is part of the normal oil additive package. Will it reduce oil consumption? Probably - as the oil becomes thicker than without it, its harder for it to pass by the rings. But there is no magical resotration process occuring. In my job I have tested various oils, petroleum based and synthetics, and some aftermarket additives. I didn't find any reduction in wear using the additives.

11. mike n

mike n 1/2 ton status

Imo all those additives are nothing more than snake oil.

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

IIRC, Restore has metal in it which is there to help "reseat" the rings but seems like it could damage all of the engine bearings. Don't know if this is true, but one of the things I have heard...

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

From the label...

"RESTORE" contains "CSL"..particles of copper,silver,and lead,that fill in scratches in cylinder walls...

I've seen the insides of two motors that blew not long after "RESTORE" was added..it looked like a tube of that "Aluma-Seal" radiator stop leak had been poured in the oil,and all over the engine's insides..it was all "glitter",and many parts were scuffed up like they starved for oil..I used it once ,never again!..:eek1: