Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine running like **** again, Plez help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

:1zhelp: My 305 is running like crap again. Ok heres the deal. About 2 weeks ago I wanted to conquer my engine running crappy problems, so I Checked the timing (good), Changed all ......spark plugs, New distributor cap/coil/rotor(was old and crappy), Checked firing (good), checked compression (good), Fixed a vacumm leak I found (T-fitting broke) ETC... Well after I did that I was stoked because the engine seemed to be running pretty decent. Well that was until today. I started it up and it sounded fine, but as soon as I took off and tried to give it gas, it would completely "bog"/ "lag" out, NO power whatsoever.I even try to give it full throttle, and NOTHING happens... So I drive it down the street (not able to go over about 15 mph) and pull over. I shut the engine off, and check everything out, (everything seems normal too me). SO I start it back up, and still doing it just as bad. So I give it full throttle again to see what happens (:grin: ) And it lags/ "bogs out" for about 2 seconds and then all the sudden kicks in and takes off.... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!!??!:confused: I am trying to get this truck running decent so I can start lifting/modding the thing out, but I want the motor to run good before I dump all that money. Someone please help, I dont know what else to do :frown1: . I need a good hint on what to do, or even better, I need an expert to come check it out! Thanks. :1zhelp:

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

fuel filter? fuel pump goin out?

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

definitely sounds like a fuel issue...

do the obvious first, filter.. run a gauge inline and check your pressure.. if both check out, its probably in the carb (assuming its a carbed truck), bad accelerator pump, sludge in the bowl, etc...

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

my brothers jimmy was doiin that (especailly when he floored it) when the o2 went bad. It would sputter for a second or two then take off. Could be the fuel. If all the fuel system checks out you might want to get yours hands on win aldl if its a efi 305.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i doubt its efi if its an 84.....

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

<< needs to read sig

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I think your reading my sig, and not socal chevy's :)

8. socal chevy

Well, I replaced the fuel pump and it still runs like I described.. Actually I cant even give it alot of gas in park without it dying. It wasnt like that before I changed the pump. :confused: What now...carb?

9. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

I am having the same problems with my 305 right now, runs great when it's warmed up and shutoff, I believe the carb is in need of a rebuild. I am considering the Holley Truck Avenger with a new fuel pump and dual fuel filters and pressure gauge since I am running dual tanks I may drop them empty and clean them out too before installing all the new stuff.

10. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

My 86 k5 was doin just what u described so i decided to rebuild the quadrajet. When i pulled the carb off i found that the gasket between the carb and the intake manifold was cracked. I went ahead and changed it and rebuilt the carb and now she runs like a champ. Im not sure if this will help you, just lettin you know what happened in my case.

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It kinda sounds like you had a bit of crap wedged between your needle and seat, which forced too much fuel into your carb. Sometimes shutting off and restarting the truck can flush the offending picec out.

Are you getting a strong smell of gas from your exhaust? Black smoke out of the tailpipes? Those are sure signs your truck is running way too rich.

You may also have a clogged cat converter, but generally they become a nuisance far before this stage of poor performance.

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If your running the stock air cleaner you might want to make sure the fresh air door is opening when the truck has warmed up. Doubt that would cause this much of a problem but it's one of those things people rarely look at.

13. socal chevy

Im looking into rebuilding my carb. I need to pass smog and i cant even drive it there!

Got any pics of your truck? I got a 84' 305....plan on doing what u got....lemme see :D

14. socal chevy

No, no gas smell, and no black smoke.... And the Converter isnt even there. :)

15. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I was pretty retarded when it came to Qjets but I broke down and rebuilt mine a few weeks ago and its runnin tits now since I fixed the choke issue. Really it wasnt as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

Ive been hittin 14mpg if I keep my foot out and performance is definately back. There is a Qjet book some folks here have recomended, hopefully someone will chime in and remind me.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Check it out!!

Have you tried hooking a vacuum gauge up to it,to see if you have low vacuum??--It could still be a vacuum leak,as the other poster said,the carb base gaskets often crack or burn out,that will cause hestation(and should kill your idle too!)...there are many other things besides lack of fuel that can do what your describing--

a bad pick up coil in the distributor can do it,so can a bad accelerator pump in the carb--to me it sounds electrical,if it will run good sometimes and not good at other times--a fuel or carb problem would likely be there constantly---your EGR valve can make it bog out if its openning at the wrong time,or sticking open slightly--even an ignition module can do it too,it has a dwell advance curcuit in it,if that part of it craps out it can still run,but poorly-

-I use GM modules only,many "cheapies" dont even have that curcuit in them at all!--the pick up coil isnt much fun to change,you have to pull the distributor out and take the shaft out--so many of them stay in the vehicle till death do us part--and they can drive you bonkers with their erratic symptoms--I have seen some run good for days,then act up every day for a week!--the wires on them get twisted every time the vacuum advance moves the pick up coil to advance the timing--after many times the wires break inside the insulation,making poor contact at times,its hard to diagnose a bad pick up coil--replacing it is not expensive,and even if it wasnt the problem,if its got a hundred thousand miles on it,its best to scrap it,it will give you greif sooner or later..

You might have less than 12 volts getting to the big pink wire on the distributor too,if you dont have full voltage there it will have weak spark that will snuff out upon acceleration or heavy load,like pulling up a hill...there are lots of things to check--look for a gas filter in the carb that hasnt been changed,or any "universal" ones in the line hidden away under the truck that might be plugged---a kinked or collapsed fuel line can cause fuel starvation at times intermittantly too....Keep looking,and good luck!!:crazy: