Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine running tired

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by skykrawler, Jul 31, 2006.

1. skykrawler

skykrawler Registered Member

My K5 is running tired. but the thing is, the idel is awesome on it. So i dont know what to do. I have the 4:10 gears and it's real slow. I am also looking to replace the spider gears or change the axles anyone have anything for sale? If I replaced the engine, should i stick with the 350?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I assume you broke your spider gears somehow? If that is the case, replacing the spider gears is cheap and easy. What size tires and usage does this truck see? Does the motor smoke? I would run a compression and/or leakdown test before commiting to a new motor.

3. skykrawler

I just actually bought the blazer. Some guy welded the spiders gears together. I dont think it smokes. It has 33's and stock gears. I am looking to go 35's. but what should I do?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your engine is tired but not smoking or burning oil?
    You sure you have 4.10 gears? Have you checked the gear ratio or just going on what the PO says.
    How about a tune up? How long since it has had a major tune up?
    If your truck is slow and "Tired" on wore out 33s it will be a lot worse on 35s.

5. skykrawler

I know that is what I am afraid of, I need to take out the welded spider gears. and possibly put a new 350 in it. The thing looks bad, I am just not sure If I am ready to put all this money into it. Like it needs alot. Tell me what you think.
    Enging
    Transmission
    Spider gears
    all fenders
    All quarter panels
    Tires
    wheels
    steering box
    Rhino line the inside
    Doors
    Exhaust
    These are just things to make it deasent. I want real nice but that is alot of money to put into it. I was also looking to make it a daily driver. I filled up and drove about five miles and the gas gauge has already moved off of the F. So i am not sure what to do.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'd say the last thing you want to do is start dumping money into repairs. Just fix what is neccessary. If your worried about the motor have it evaluated by a mechanic or if your patient ask for walkthrough help here.

How much mechanical experience do you have? How many miles on your K5?

7. skykrawler

true, I am not looking to be dunping money into something everyday. I will have to go get it tested. thanks

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I'm not trying to criticize, just help you avoid digging a hole. Besides the rear diff hopefully you just need some standard maintenance, tune-up, oil change, trans fluid / filter change, top off t-case and differentials, grease u-joints, et.

Best of luck with your new toy. There's plenty of help to be had on CK5.

9. skykrawler

thanks I appreciate all the help

10. alf4444

alf4444 1/2 ton status

Judging by all the post looking for parts it doesn't sound like you got as good of a deal as what was advertised, I thought that 74 was in pretty good shape. Send me a PM with all your parts needs and I'll see what we can't work out I need to get rid of all the crap I don't need