Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Runs Rough after 10 minutes (enter colder weather)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Nov 3, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Hey guys, I've noticed that my K5 is starting show signs that it's going to be a tough winter. When I warm up the truck, it sound just fines, purrs around 20 000. After I start driving for the first bit is still drives fines and has lots of pep. But, after about 10 or 15 minutes of driving is starts to get sluggish and doesn't have the acceleration it did when I first started out. (I've just replaced the thermostat, and water pump if that helps). Now, the colder weather (Northern Alberta)has just started so I m thinking it might have something to do with the carb, but I can't be sure. Anyone have any advice on what the problem could be....(FYI Hayens manual suggested checking the timing but I haven't done so)...
    Thanks guys
    MarcD (here's to hoping the garage stays free or I'd be walking this winter /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like its fine untill the choke opens up creating a lean condition. Could be a number of things. maybe check the gaskets, vacuum hoses for something that might be obvious and then go from there. Good luck.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Just had my daily driver do the same thing today. Check your choke. Now that it is colder mine wasn't opening far enough when the engine was warm. It would start to load up and flood out.