Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CenTxk5blazer, Jan 12, 2005.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

i'm thinkin of swappin my engine to a 400 sbc in my DD after doggin it down the highway today. from what i've read on other post i think this would be the best cid to go with. $$ is an issue. this would be the first time for me to do this. time is not an issue, i can do this over an extended period.

1) should i look for a bare block that has already been machined, magnafluxed ... or a complete junkyard 400 to start over with
    2) is a 2 bolt main better than a 4 bolt or vice versa
    3) what sort of things should i look out for
    4)
    what sort of things should i look for as far as new components ....
    5) should i forget about this and wait until i have enough $$ to have it professionally done

other ?? will follow. thanks for the input

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

In a 400 a 2 bolt is better. The 4 bolts tend to crack around the outer cap bolts. Also alot of 400s tend to get a mis shaped bore, so check that if you can. Watch for the overbore size too... I don't think I have ever seen a 400 that has been punched to 60over make it very long w/o cracking between the cylinder and the water jacket. 40over seems to be about max.
    If $$ is an issue I would try to find a complete motor so that you have all the parts for it (crank, rods, balancer, etc...) rather than trying to piece on together from scratch... that can get fairly expensive by the time you buy everything.

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ebay is your best freind for now. Look for 400 longblocks. If you can't find a 400 they have high hp 350's for $1500-2000.

Taking a motor that you found and having it built, bored, magnafluxed, honed, reconditioned, will end up costing you serious $$$. A lot more than a reman 400 longblock would cost. Once you buy the longblock all you have to figure out is fuel system, belts, exhaust, limited electrical, and efi if you have it.

4. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

If time is not an issue do it yourself !!!

take your time and just tinker, get some books on performance tips and such
    dont scrimp on the money do it right the first time I have learned the hard way!

I personally would skip on the 400 though I go Big Block nothin beats lowend tourque

Thats all opinion though

5. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

I would recomend looking around for a complete 400. You'll probly be able to find one for around $1 per CI. So about $400-$450 should get you a complete 400. Make sure though that they have good compression and good oil pressure. If it burns oil, don't even think about it. In some 400s, the 8th cylinder tends to "eat" to piston so watch out for that. But, a worn out 400 will out perform a nice 350 anyday due to the the 400 longer crank. 350s will bogg down when they get in a bind, but 400 will keep on plowing.

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I'll be the first to say STROKE IT!!!

If time is not an option then slowly build a 383 and you'll never turn back. You can get a good 350 block for $50-100 bucks just gotta look. Then buy the kit which alot of them will be balanced and they go for about 1000, then have your block cleaned, bored .030, clearenced for the 400 crank and put it all together and It is a great learning experiance. You can spend anywhere from 1700-2200 for a decent stroker setup and it will create LOADS OF HP/Torque. I was lucky I had access to a military base hobby shop and my stroker only cost me about 1500 to build and thats including machine shop fees. Good Luck!!

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Why settle for 383 cubes when you could have 406 for the same $$$?

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

A stock 350 yeah, but get a built one and it will romp an old 400 any day. I have a heavily built 355 with a holley intake manifold, throttle body, accel high pressure fuel pump, gm 350 horse cam, moly rings, camel hump heads, 10:1 flat tops, flowtech headers, a k&n, gm xrods(good for 8000 rpm) high volume oil pump, and a 3" exhuast system. Makes over 300 ftbls from 2800 and pulls to 425 ft lbs at 4800. 400+ hp at 5400. Its mated to a 700r4 with a corvette shift kit and a 2400 stall torque converter. Did it all for about $2400.00. I have manual hubs so i can put it in 4 lo but be in 2wd. It will spin all 4 35x12.50s long before it gives up. I can be rolling at 20 mph in 4wd in low and smoke all 4 tires.
    My dad had a 383 with 10:1 pistons, holley carb, cam, and true dual exhuast. Made about 350 horse and 420 ft lbs. My 350 has better numbers but the 383 made more torque around 2000 rpm. thing was a goat. pulls and pulls... a built 350 will do the same.
    Get better gas mileage and more parts available with a 350.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Nobody is saying that your motor or anybody elses 350 isn't any good... I have one myself. I am just saying, imagine what a 406 would do w/ all the goodies and $$ that your 355 has... I bet the HP and Torque #'s would be up...

10. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

re

since you are in Austin I would give these guys a call Quality Engine Exchange 512-339-8855. You could get a rebuilt engine with 1yr/ unlimted mile warranty giving you time to save for the hop ups and driving time to experience the stock power of the 400. BTW thier price for a 454 long block is only $940:thumb: