Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine setbacks?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bablazer73, Jul 20, 2000.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

has anybody ever played with setting the engine farther back in the chassis? I am getting ready to swap body's on my truck, while the engine is out, I was thinking of setting the engine back about 4". the problem I have is when the truck leaves the ground, I.E. when I jump. it comes down hard nose first. i am putting a bigblock in this year and that will make this problem worse. I know alot of you guys are crawlers and think this is stupid, but i am not a sane person. I like to abuse my truck, but don't like to crash.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Cut a big hole in the firewall and scoot her back! 4 inches should help allot. Your rear shaft will have to be shortened and front lengthened, could be a problem with a big lift. Maybe you should check into some off-road racing type springs, like National or Deaver if you jump allot like this......
    [​IMG]
    Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I don't know if you can move the engine much, mine is so tight to the firewall that I had to cut the old sparkplug wires off when I put in my ignition system. It looked like the wires were put on the engine before it was put in the truck. There's less than an inch of clearance between my valve covers and the firewall. Is this the same for everyone else?

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't have a problem "carving" the fire wall to make it fit. had to do lots of that on my old drag car. 64 pontiac, bb chevy set back 6", tubed out. just want to know If anybody else has done this. I know I am going to have probs with rear shaft. getting a new one built with a cardon joint in it. but have to have truck assembled to take measurments. just more bad ideas that roll through my head.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!