Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine shakes after tranny swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, May 7, 2003.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Just finished up my 700 replacement with another 700 (couldn't pass it up, working great and was only $75) and noticed that at idle, the engine shakes real bad. Ran perfectly smooth before the swap. It does smooth out above 1200 rpm though. Replacement 700 is out of an 88 suburban. I used the torque converter from that and not my old one. It looks like a rebuilt converter. Green-blue paint and only 3 bolt holes. Do torque converters need to be "clocked" a certain way? Torque converter possibly bad? I sure hope not cause I don't want to break it all apart again just to replace the converter. Pain in the ass when your doing it by yourself. Will it hurt anything if I just left it alone? Planning on going to a 465 when I find a good deal on one. Was going to wait till I roasted this tranny to do it. Thanks for the help! Sam

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know exactly what it could be, but not good what ever it is. Could be a bad convertor. Did you seat the convertor?? On the end of the convertor, the part that goes into the tranny pump, it has two prongs that engage the pump. If you didn't put the convertor in all the way and just tightened up the bell bolts, then you damaged the pump, and that could make it vibrate like that. Hope someone else can help out.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like maybe the converter got bound up during the install /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif you need to find out what is causing the vibration and get it fixed it should not vibrate at all

4. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

could also be caused if your flywheel got bent.

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Your profile says you might have a 400. What motor do you have now? Did you change the flex plate when you swapped the trans? (400's use an unbalanced flex plate)

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Great lots of bad news. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Looks like its coming down again to swap the converter out. Probly order one from bowtie overdrive. Same price as a local rebuild, but probly better quality. I'm running a 400sbc. I thought the 400 WAS externally balanced... I do have a spare flywheel, probly swap that out too. Damn! This sucks!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Sam

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The 400 is externally balanced!!!