Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Shimmy

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ohio_frotyk5, Aug 3, 2000.

1. ohio_frotyk5

ohio_frotyk5 Registered Member

Wow I finally got logged in on here! Anyways Id like to say Hi.Heres the problem... my Blazer runs real good in idle but when I put her into gear she likes to shimmy a little bit. The Engine has been rebuilt 50,000 ago and so has the Tranny at 25,000 miles. Id like to think its just maybe a loose bolt or two but then I really dont know. What do you think? Im 18 so Im just beginning and learning alot so any help would be greatttt. Thanks

2. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Is it a miss or a vibration? On high mileage motors, harmonic balancers tend to get tired as the rubber isolator degrades and in turn lets the weighted outer ring slip a bit throwing the assembly out of balance. I've even seen this on motors with as little as 80k on them.

<font color=blue>~BigBurban</font color=blue>

3. ohio_frotyk5

The shimmy is more of a vibration. Th guy that oned it before me had the engine rebuilt. It was probably rebuilt on a budget since he was in college so they didnt replace the harmonic balancer. Thanks again.

4. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    Sounds like it could be your motor mounts. I would definetly at least test them before you go to all the trouble of pulling the harmonic balancer.
    "engine shimmy" is a very unspecific description, if you are saying it starts running rough? you may just need a tune up.

5. ohio_frotyk5

The engine runs great in high and low idle. It's when I put the truck into drive with my foot on the brake that the whole truck has a light shimmy. Sorry if I confused you by saying engine shimmy. After I put it into gear and give her gas and start to drive its fine and no shimmy afterwards except when I come to a stop or in idle. Hmmmm maybe its all that horsepower under the hood :). Thanks for any help.

6. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

That sounds even MORE like the "forward motor mount" (drivers side)
    Do you know how to check it?

7. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Yep, kinda sounds like it. They're real easy to check. Just take a look at the cradle that sits over the motor mount... If it's touching your frame, it's bad. When your engine's under load the driver's side of the motor lifts, taking the vibration away (in theory). Check it out.

8. ohio_frotyk5

I just checked the driver side and it seemed fine. I checked the passenger side and then the driver side which had about the same space between the cradle and the frame. Anyother suggestions?

9. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

I have had them look good but pull apart under torque.
    The BEST way (maybe not the safest) is open the hood and watch the engine, have a buddy(that you trust) start it up, and drop it into gear, then rev it some (varoom, varoom, varoom), with there foot on the brake. If the engine lifts on the drivers side the mount is broke! A little torqing from the engine is normal, you will KNOW if it is broke!
    Another weird thing to check is make sure the bolts that hold your tranny to the engine are tight (that will give you a "shimmy" as well)

10. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

Disclaimer: DO NOT stand in front of the vehicle while your friend is going "varoom varoom varoom" with the truck in gear.

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Also check for broken/split vaccum lines as well as the spark plug wires, make sure none are touching the exhaust manifold. A good way to check them is start it up at night and pop the hood and look for the spark jumping...

12. ohio_frotyk5

Hey good idea BigBurban! How about off to the side? he he *klunk* he he "You alright buddy?"

13. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I don't think anybody mentioned it could be a low idle speed.

14. ohio_frotyk5

Thanks for all the possible problems. Ill check them all out. Thanks again!