Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine shuts off!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by whiskeyfist666, Mar 25, 2007.

1. whiskeyfist666

whiskeyfist666 Registered Member

I have a 1985 K5 with a 350 TBI. The engine runs strong for a short while (30 minutes?) then when i come to a stop the engine just shuts off. I then have to let the car sit for a couple of hours before could get it to start up again. I tried throwing on a new fuel filter, but the problem continues. Any ideas on what may be causing this problem? :confused:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uhh, an '85 would not have TBI -- presumably you've added it? It's a stock TBI from an '87+?

When you try to restart it, what happens? Does it try to run?

I'd check spark, make sure the plugs are getting electricity.

Assuming there's fire, next to check is fuel. When it won't start, drop a little gas into the throttle body or spray some starting fluid in there. If it catches, then you're not getting fuel. Pump could be suspect; fuel pressure gauge would be best to diagnose.

If you have fuel AND fire, methinks you have computer issues and you should be checking the Check Engine light -- come to think, you should do that first.

Is it throwing any codes?

-- A

3. whiskeyfist666

The engine tries to turn on, and it turns on fine after its been sitting for a couple of hours.The TBI was an addition, however not by me. The service engine light does turn on as the problem occurs. I should check out if it throws out a code. The Blazer is sitting at the mechanics right now. I've known this mechanic for a while now. He told me it could be the module and that he might have to rebuild the distributer. Does that sound about right to you?
    P.S. Nice truck. Very impressive.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

it is a very good possibility the the ign module could be bad

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sure, ignition module could do that. They're solid state and fail, usually from heat-related issues. Your mechanic buddy should know to replace it and put the heatsink goo down underneath, to thermally couple it to the dizzy body -- it's just like the CPU chip in your computer in that regard.

As for rebuild the dizzy, who knows. I'd just buy a new one, but then the local speed shop has new (not reman) HEI's for $100... yours are prolly different for the TBI, but depending on your buddy's labor rate, might still be cheaper to buy new.

As for Tankie (my truck), aww, shucks. :blush: She's not got a Dana 60 nor 42" tires, but she does okay for me.

-- A

6. whiskeyfist666

I'll relate the info you guys gave me to my mechanic. I hope it's nothing to complicated, cause the truck has balls when it's running. What about the Electronic Control Module, could that be it as well? I should convert my truck to carb instead of TBI when I get the funds.