Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine sitting of awhile. Need to prep for starting, couple of ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Jul 17, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

What is safe to spray/pour into a cylinder to ensure its not seized from sitting for so long. The heads are off. Is it ok to use a pb blaster type spray? If not, should I just pour some oil and let it sit for a day?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

The only thing I've ever heard anyone claim that worked for something like that was Mystery Oil. I've never used it myself.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Just use some diesel fuel or brake fluid and let it sit for a day or two. Either one works great.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The only thing I've ever heard anyone claim that worked for something like that was Mystery Oil. I've never used it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some old guy told me that once , and he was right ( not in books , just real life ) . Its Marvel Mystery oil . Not only would I add some to the cylinders , but I would pre-oil the engine , either with an tool ( can be made from an old distributor minus the cam gear ) or ( and I have done this ) by removing valve covers and intake ( so you reseal it , no leaks ) and pouring oil in slowly over valetrain and lifter valley /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

If there is a marina or marine supply store by you, get some Engine Store, spray it in the cylinders and let it sit for a few days, stuff is great.

6. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've used the PB Blaster when the heads were off an engine before. I sprayed it on the cylinder walls and let it sit on the rings for a while. This worked well for me since I was able to rotate the block and do one bank at a time when the cylinders were straight up and down. After it has been able to soak for a couple of days turn the crank by hand to make sure everything is free. That engine is still going strong after 2 years.

7. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

I have heard the Marvel Mystery Oil idea before, though I have never used it myself...Are the cylinder walls rusty/dirty/etc? I would be inclined to use some sort of penetrating oil to start with if it is locked or crusty (eg. WD40). After that, regular motor oil or STP oil treatment might be the ticket. If the cylinders walls are really messy, it would behoove you to disassemble the short block and check everything out. Dirt and rust are the enemy. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    OILBURNER /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

What you callin me old Paul???? Why I aughtaaaaaa!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif