Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine sounds like its running on 4 cylinders!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Apr 17, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok..my truck has always since i got it..sputter and hesitate when i go to give it the gas...but mostly when it was cold..well last night when i was pulling in the driveway it was acting really wierd..like i could barly keep the thing rolling..and it sounded like it was dead..then would start again..just got home today ..and it sounds extremely quite..doesnt sound liek a v8 sounds liek my friends 2.5L jeep! when i let of the gas to stop at a stop sign i can barly hear it..and its just barly chugging.whats going on? new plugs or what? and also when i rev it i hear this little whistling type of sound or something..maybe its the fan im not sure..

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

check the timing

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

can the timing get worse? another thing it does once and a while it will do that sputter thing after you turn it of ya know..which i guess is also the timing..

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok something else i noticed when i just went out and started it up...on the #2 cyl. on the driver side..actually i dunno how you tell what number it is..but its the second plug back tords the fire wall on the D side..there is a small spark jumping from the plug to the header pipe and i can hear it tick and see it doing it..and when that happens the engine will start to bog down even more..it sounds like a deisel engine. does this give any more hints..is it def. my timing then? im not sure how to check timing either ive never done it befor..thanx guys!!

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Your plug wires are shot.

If they are doing that, a full tune-up is most likely needed. The arc against the manfold is the spark that should be going to the plug.

John

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so its not just that one wire? cuase thats the only one thats doing it?. i have to replace all 8?

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so its not just that one wire? cuase thats the only one thats doing it?. i have to replace all 8?

[/ QUOTE ]

If one is bad, how do you think the other 7 are?

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well, never doing this befor and seeing that only one is doing it..naturally wounldnt i think that only one might need replacing? ..but if they all do like you guys are saying then i will do that. thanx. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

If it were me. I'd get new plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor. Also I'd change the fuel filter and air filter too. Unless these parts are new, it will make a big difference in how the motor runs.

John

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well for now i just wanan do the wires and see if that helps get it back to normall. im a little short on $$ at the momet so the other stuff will have to wait..but i will take into account what you said..thanx! what do wires go for also? never bought any befor..

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

$19.94 at my local advance auto parts. Should be about the same where you're located.

John

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok i got a question regarding my new wires i just got..they are borg-warners.(or however you spell it)..but you know how they have to different ends..one for the plug and one for the dis., well one wire has the same plug on both ends..they are both dis. ends. whats up with that?

13. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take an auto shop class. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

it's the coil wire for an external coil.
    -- Mike

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im taking an auto class next year..(my senrior year)..sorry for my dumbness..but i havnt done this befor till now. anyyyhow..so i can i still use this wire or not? its the last one.

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so i can i still use this wire or not? its the last one

[/ QUOTE ]

You have an HEI distributor (they stopped using points distributors after 1974) so the coil is internal. No wire is needed or used.
    You have replaced the 8 spark plug wires and that is all you need to do - the 9th wire, the external coil wire, is not used for your application.
    -- Mike

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx..yea i asked my dad about it and he told me al lthat stuff. i got it returned for another set and now i got them all on but i cant find my keys..so i dunno how it runs now lol..always loosing those damn things..

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well..i started it up after putting the new wires on..and it started really quick for some reason at first..but then i had to start it again.. fired up and sounded good back to normall.but then..after a few seconds of running it started doing it again..when i rev it it will mildly backfire..and sounds deisely. whats next? new plugs too?