Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Specs question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Jul 12, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the chance to get a 368 cid out of a 80's model Cadillac since its a GM engine would there be any problems puttin this sucker in my blazer after I build it up of course give me some pro's and con's guys this engine can be built up pretty good.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just doing some cursory searching online, looks like the 368 is a total GM "corporate mandate" POS motor. No offense, but IMO, it is to Cadillac what the 305 is to a Chevy. Just like GM killed off other divisions "good" motors (Buick, Pontiac, Olds 350's, along with the 400's and 455's) they left Cadillac with a smaller, less powerful motor.

Obviously its more cubic inches, but not much more than the 350 Chev, and rebuilding a 350 Chev will be cheaper anyways. I'm guessing if the 425's had relatively weak cranks (again from quick online searching) its just like everything else GM from the late 70's/80's, build it as cheaply as possible, and in the meantime, still meet EPA emissions requirements. In a motor designed for a car, that HAD to be a killer. (compare to trucks with 454 that had HD emissions..."loophole" if you will)

It will still have a fair amount of torque I'm sure, but again, compared to a 350 Chev, probably close enough that the cost difference of a rebuild or difficulty in adapting isn't worth it. You are talking different tranny, (and yes, the tranny issue can be muddled with the 3 different bellhousing patterns) and different motor mounting positions, at the very least.

If it were I, and thats not saying I have a lot of Cadi knowledge, I'd be thinking 472/500, (real power) or something Chev, (cheaper, easier) period the end.

3. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the tips anyone else have any suggegstion about this engine I did a search as well and you can build this engine pretty good just wondering if anyone has done it or know anyone. Thanks

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Why spend all that money to build an odd ball engine that was never all that good in the first place.
    If you want power and torque you could build a 383 for less.

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Muhahahaha, Cadillac 472/500. I've got a 472 in a 1968 eldorado (project that never gets started), and its even mean in stock form. The motor and front end will turn from the size even when you're just starting. Now thats alot of mass, haha.