Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stalling.. dies, codes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 11, 2007.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys, my 87tbi 350 is acting so crazy. Ill be driving down the road and my engine will just cut out for a second, or ill be leaving a light, mostly on turns and the whole truck just dies cept electrical. It's been doing this for a while. Seems to do it worse when the engine gets hot. The check engine light comes on sometimes, but not every time it cuts out and dies.

For example i drove about 40mins at about 45-50mph, towards the end of the drive, starting off a light my truck started jerking like the engine was running out of gas. I had a full tank. If i completely MASH it, then it stops spuddering. I have new plugs, wires, cap,rotor, ignition module, and fuel filter.

My main question with all this is, if i plug a code reader into it, w/ no check engine light on, will it give me a code for something being wrong? I tried the paper clip thing, doesnt tell me anything, both w/ light being on and no light on. And what the heck could it be wrong w/ it?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

just by the description is sounds to me like a TPS going out, the computer might not be seeing the throttle opening, so it can't compensate fuel pulse. it could also be a hundred other things. are you sure the paper clip was on the correct terminals?

3. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah.. i went over the paper clip thing many times. was in the correct thing. If i try to pull the code w/ no check engine light, will it read anything?