Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Stalling When Gunned.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86jimbo, Oct 24, 2005.

1. 86jimbo

86jimbo Registered Member

I have a 86 Jimmy with a 350.
    When Im stopped and just gun it, it stalls out on me, but if I gun it, and it starts to stall, if I let off and gun it again, it will take off. Please help me figure this prob. out. I have a new carb ( holley truck advenger), spark plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, control module, and capacitor, and accel coil. I put all these on to resolve the problem, but it didnt. :confused:

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

what kind of fuel pressure?
    whats your timing?
    anyone tune that carb?

3. 86jimbo

im running a holley blue electric fuel pump with the regulater set at 6.5 psi, as holley told me. we have messed with the timing, and no results, and holley told me that the carb should be pretty well righ on.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not a carb guru, but it sounds like your secondaries are out of adjustment. Are they vacuum or mechanical on that carb?

5. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Could be clogged fuel filter. Also there is that little fule pump thingy inside the carb, right? My quadrajet had one, and when it went, it would stall out under more throttle, but run fine at idle or very low throttle. I forget the actual name of the part.. but it's just like a little pump inside the carb.

6. 86jimbo

i dont think its the accelerator pump, because my quadrajet was doing the same thing before i changed it out. im thinking it maybe something that i havent checked or replaced. my first guess would be the carb too, but the problem was there with the previous carb (factory)

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Have you stuck a vacuum guage on the engine? I know some people like the Holley Avenger carbs, but I don't think I've run into a carb that's set correctly at the factory. You need to take into account that each engine is a little different, so each carb needs to be tweaked to fit the engine. I know the Q-jets can really bog if not set correctly and even though I've never dealt with the Avenger, I know most Holley's will bog too if the accelerator pump isn't set right. Someone also mentioned the secondaries, since the secondaries are vacuum operated on your carb you might need a different spring. Just a few thoughts. Good luck! :wink1:

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yes, that's the part I was thinking of.. :confused: :D

Sounds like it may be a tough one to figure out..