Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stalls in rain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 15, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Its finally raining!!!!!!!!! Hard!!! I took the K5 out for a ride in the downpour we're having. The water is over the curb on the street! Anyway, she died a few times. I'm wondering why this happened. I've gone through deeper puddles than this, but its like water is making it stall. This happened at the carwash too. Since the distributor is right under the crack in the hood, is it posible water is soaking it and making it stall? I did cahnge the wires earlier this year, is there a way to waterproof them that I don't know about? Could water be coming in through the air intake? I have a K&N, so that helps a little. Thanks

90K5

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Try a dab of silicone on the tips of the plugs and dist cap posts, dont use RTV silicone though, just plain white silicone grease. I think they sell it at Autozone

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

3. bart

bart Registered Member

Is the rubber weatherstriping on the cowl to hood still there? This would allow water to pour down onto the distributor!

bart

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well I looked inside the air cleaner housing and its all dry (except for red K&N oil) and the pickup tube was dry too. It must be something with the distributor. I didn't see a cowl seal, so i guess I need one. BTW when I brought it into the garage, my little bro had left a piece of wood with a nail sticking out in the vice and it made a wide @$$ scratch about two inches long in my fender, all the way down to the metal. I showed my dad and he just says "sh!t happens" Naturally my bro isn't paying for anything. the dumb part is that I park in the garage about once a month, so it should have been the old man's Acura.

90K5

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Smarta$$ that I am, I would have offered to park dear ol' Dads Acura for him and see if "sh!t happens" is still his attitude!![​IMG]
    A cowl seal will be a big help in the rain.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

You might want to check the distributor cap for cracks, if rain /moisture gets in there it'll kill one quick!!!![​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>