Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stalls when making u turns

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mxrcr589, Sep 5, 2003.

1. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

i got a 90 jimmy that is fuel injected, when i make u turns or other sharp turns while going fast my engine stalls for a second, like its not getting gas or something, does anyone know what this could be thanks

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

let me guess it only does it under a half tank? i am willing to bet your sending unit is off, and its lower than you think, or you the baffels are rotted out and the gass is sloshing to the other side of the tank.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Baffles are plastic, so rotting isn't the issue. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BTW, keep your tanks full folks...never seen internal corrosion on a tank until I pulled a TBI sending unit out. Either the senders are more cheaply made than earlier, or something else, because this sender was *rusty* inside, where the rest of the tank (that I could see) exhibited no-rust. Never seen rust like this on any other sender I've pulled apart, even the '81 I have now. It would have worked fine for many more years, but that scale would have eventually made it's way to the bottom of the pickup.

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled program...

I bet the baffle is broken off the bottom of the tank. Extremely common with TBI tanks. You can buy a replacement tank for about $130, all steel.

It's not hard to pull the tank (except skidplate can be a bear) and see whats going on. Could even be a lot of water in there...the "sock" on the pickup is a water barrier. Too much water around it and the engine WILL starve for fuel. Not likely if only happening in sharp turns, but a possibility. I'd hedge my bets on the baffle.

How's your gauge read? Baffle may move around and hit that sometimes too, giving erratic or false readings.

4. mxrcr589

mxrcr589 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure that the tank has been replaced by the first owner, i got to check some records

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It doesn't take much for them to break. If it was replaced with another GM unit, I'd still not rule it out. Something as simple as a hard stop can break them. Accident is almost guaranteed to break it.