Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stalls when put in gear.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big GMC truck, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

I have a 1984 GMC k1500 with a new 305. The truck idles well when it is in park, but will stall when I put it in gear. Any ideas on what is wrong?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

check for vacuum leaks, carb base gasket, all lines and hoses from intake manifold and carb, including power brake booster one and the one down to the trans modulator valve

do you know what your idle speed is ? hot ? cold ? out of gear*

also do you know what your timing is set at ?

3. Big GMC truck

Big GMC truck Registered Member

Could a power brake booster vacuum leak affect the braking quality? The brakes become very hard to press when it does idle in gear for a couple of minutes. I noticed that a little brake fluid was leaking out of the left rear drum. Where is the trans modulator valve? Thanks for your help and time.

4. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

It could also be your transmission... How long has it been on the truck and how long have you been running that new 305 on it? I had a vehicle that did the same thing and it was becasue the transmission was going out. It may not be that serious though but it could be. I would say just check those vacuum lines as was mentioned. That's all I've got.

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

vac leak id say, as long as u havent messed with timing

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

vac leak id say, as long as u havent messed with timing. as to why there is a leak :thinking:

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

how does it "die"??

Does it sputter and stall,or does it stop abruptly ,like a manual tranny if you pop the clutch in gear??--if it stops like that,it could be the lock up torque converter isn't unlocking (assuming you have one--all 700R4's do,and some TH350's)...other than that,it could be vacuum leaks,carb problems,or timing related.. :crazy: