Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Stalls-why?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Sep 24, 2001.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Crap! I have a bizarre engine problem that I can't fix (yet).

I have all the signs of a horrible vacuum leak... stalls at idle, runs very rough at low RPM's, etc., but I can't find a leak. But then I also feel an occasional miss at high speeds too. My fuel pump works, my filter is new, my timing is fine. My highway mileage hasn't changed either.

I removed the carb (edelbrock 1405), and found the bowls coated with gunk (mexican fuel is my guess)... I thoroughly cleaned the guts with solvent and compressed air, and I checked the action of the floats. I reinstalled the carb... no difference.

I replaced the coil and plugs... no difference.

What's up?! Any help is appreciated.

2. 77GMC15

77GMC15 1/2 ton status

Have you checked to see if the fuel line is pinched?

The road is calling you.......ignore it!

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Try spraying some carburetor cleaner around the joints of the intake manifold at the heads and at the carburetor to see if the rough idle clears up. If it does, you've found the source of the leak. Also spray around the joints on the body of the carburetor.

4. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, excellent idea... I'll try that next. As it is, I replaced my distributor today, and I found a some mid and upper RPM punch that my old distributor was missing. Unfortunately my low-end mess hasn't cleared up.

I also checked the vacuum pressure and it read steady at 14"... perhaps the leak is internal along the manifold.

5. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

spray some ether along the intake. If it revs up you have a gasket leak. You can also do it around the base of the carb.

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>