Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stand and other things

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, May 21, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Will a 1000pound engine stand do the job? There is some kind of blowout sale at a "hotel" lol near me, and they have a bunch of things for good prices. Thinking about getting quite a few things...at good prices :grin:
    Anyways, they have a 1000LBS stand, then a 1500LBS stand...the 1500 one is quite more expensive. But our engines don't weigh that much do they? (talking about anytrhing I could be working on that's a chevy; 350, 400, 454, etc etc)
    Also, there are some jack stands... will 2T ones be good? They are 19.99 for the pair I think. Never owned jackstands before :blush:
    Also, snap rings and o-rings...is there a noticable different in quality? They have 200+ pc kits for 7.00...never know when you need one?
    Also, one last thing... floor jack... is 2t (I think thats what it is) okay? This is just for now...eventually I will get better quality ones when I really start wrenching. But for now this should do.

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Look at the base on the engine stand and get the one with 4 wheels.
    The one with the T shaped base [only three wheels] gets real tippy when you try to turn the motor over. :)

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

For the engine stand, i really have no clue. My guess would be 1000lbs would be ok, but like i said, wait for someone else's input.

As for jack stands and jack, 2 ton is NOT enough. Yeah, your not lifting your whole truck at once.....but i'd rather error on the safe side saying heavier ones aren't that much more. I'd go at least 3 or 3.5 on the stands, and about that for the jack.

Another reason to go extra big on stands is the higher the rating, the taller they normally go, and the larger the bases are (way more stable). If its the type of sale i think it sounds like, get some higher rated ones, like 6 ton or above....or some wiht a good size base. Its way better to use 12ton stands and barely have to raise them up than to use 3 ton ones at their max height.
    I know jason (willyswanter) uses some 12ton ones from harbor freight, and has said good things about the stability.

Make sure the jack goes high enough to do somethign on your truck.....i've got a stock IFS blazer, and i've got the high lift (21" i think) craftsman. It was like $99 for a 3 ton with 2 3.5ton stands.
    For the jack, see what others say, but i'd reccomend going wiht a brand name.....but thats just my preference.

Anyways, have fun, and good luck!

4. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Ditto, reminds me of smashed valvecover and PS pump I once had

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the 1000 lbs and 1500 lbs will be a 4 wheel, the 750 lbs is a 3 wheel. 1000 lbs is plenty for a big block, a BBC only weights like 600 with accesories, so its plenty with a SBC. i will never buy a 750 lbs, stand. the 1000 lbs is only a few bucks more and the only things you really shouldn't put on them is diesels.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think the 1000LBS one is 40 or 5o bucks, then the 1500 is 20$ more.
    I need to change the prices...the jack stands are 3, and 6 tonne. The 3 tonne is 12 dollars, and the 6ton is 20 dollars per pair.
    The floor jack is 25 for 2 t, and 100 for 3 t...I don;t need a floorjack right now, I am "borrowing" one...so I will wait to get a better one.
    Anyways, i'm excited...not till next week though :confused:
    And its during school it starts, so hopefully when I go after, it will still have a lot of stuff!

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i paid $45 for my 1000 lbs stand. and a friend paid $60 for his 1500 lbs stand.

get the 6 ton, the 3 ton that i have are not tall enough to reach the frame on a stock k5. they are bearly tall enough to get my 35 off the ground under the axle.

8. dhcomp

Yah, what he said, get the 6 ton stands. For only $8 more theres no reason not to....considering the extra margin of saftey/stability you are getting.

9. biobry

biobry Registered Member

Do you already have an engine hoist?

One note re: the engine stand...If you are using an overhead type hoist to pull the engine the U-shaped stand is great...BUT...when using an engine hoist ( cherry picker ) the legs of the U-shaped stand will not fit far enough inside the hoist to transfer directly from the hoist to the stand.

I also have the T-shaped stand but my front wheels have a small t-bar spreading them out around a foot apart and it is very stable.

Bryan

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

cheaper aint better!

I have a 750lb engine stand that I made into a 4 wheeled one after I almost tipped over an engine when I was wheeling it into my shop and it hit the edge of the concrete floor where the driveway ended..it was strong enough to hold the caddy motor!--but it was scary to move it with only 3 wheels--I'd spring for a heavier 1000lb one with 4 wheels,they aren't much more $$..I recently "inherited" another 4 wheeled one and an engine crane from a guy who was moving,and was going to scrap them! :laugh:

I say get the 6 ton stands too--I made the mistake of getting the 3 ton ones,they are too short to use even on a stock 4x4.. :doah: --be good for a toyota or something,but not a truck--too short..

Oh,and if you want to place a motor onto an engine stand with an engine crane,you can--you just have to remember to extend the boom out further so the engine is slightly beyond the legs of the crane--this must be done before lifting the motor!--be aware,it will be "nose heavy"and more unstable with the boom extended out all the way,and it lowers the amount of weight it will pick up as well..but most cranes can handle a motor and tranny with no problem fully extended--just have to be more careful... :crazy:

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I will pick up the 6 ton jackstands...and make sure the engine stand is 4 wheeled.
    I already have an engine hoist, kennyw brought me one in september.
    oh and I forgot they have a dual 500w work light...perfect for working outside at night....... darkshadow mentioned these a while back and haven't found any for cheap yet...
    these ones are 30 or 40 bucks...

12. dhcomp

You'll like the lights....but remember you can get the small single ones for liek $8 wiht an extra bulb from home depot.....so it might make better sense to do that and make some better stands for them. Just an idea...

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Steve, one thing you can rest assured of is that these guys will never steer you wrong when it comes to your safety. so far, everything posted has been dead on.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Jeremy, so my current changes to agree with what people said should be best?

dhcomp...I'm not quite sure what you are saying, I can get these lights for 8 dollars? :confused:

15. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

16. dhcomp

I figured you meant a light like this, only the fixture with 2 of these on an adjustable stand

[​IMG]

This picture is from harbor freight where they are like $11 or 12, but home depot regular price is 8 or 9 think. On sale as low as $6, and they come with a spare bulb.

The bulbs alone are like $5, so everytime i need ot replace a bulb, i end up with a new one, and then just put the spare bulb it comes with in my old lamp, and now i've got another light!

17. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

Menards usually has a sale on those Halogen lights every now and then.
    you can get the light like that for $3.99, or buy the bulb for $5.

18. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You guys need to remember he is in a small town in Canada, so prices are going to be higher for him.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Those would be the lights, but it holds 2 of them, and it's a larger stand. I'll see if I can find a picture on HF...

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status