Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine stats and a horrible story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robbyj56, May 11, 2002.

1. Robbyj56

Robbyj56 Registered Member

first... does anyone know the HP Torque for a 1983 350 and 305, or even better the HP and Torque for a Jasper refirbed 350 and 305?
    Listen to my horrible story, i know i will sound like an idiot but i still want to share. We bought my K5 from a man who told us it had a 350. we trusted him so we didnt question him. the 350 drops a valve into the cylinder. as you can imagine the piston was cracked and the cylinder walls screwed. so we ordered a Jasper refirbed 350. it came in the mail and the shop putting it in informed us that our orignal engine wasnt a 350, but a 305. i was pissed, but couldnt afford all the extra goodies when swapping from a 305 to a 350, such as a new carb. i am tight on money right now. so we sent the 350 back and ordered a Jasper 305. this has been a horrible week i wanted my 350 so bad.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why did you send the 350 back? The carb from your 305 would have worked and so would everything else...

Rene

3. Robbyj56

Robbyj56 Registered Member

my dad was in charge of the operation... he was paying so it was pretty much his decision, but he said the carb from the 305, a quadrajet, would run too lean on the 350 and we would have to replace the harmonic balancer. if there were any other conflicts with the swap he didnt mention them.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Externally, everything will bolt up and work, even the harmonic balancer. The only harmonic balancer that will not work is the 400 which is externally balanced rather than internally balanced.

5. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

ahhhh, you could have (more than likely), rejetted the carb (if need be), to work with the 350 motor, the harmonic balancer was the only difference that i can think of. if the motors were the same type (vortec heads vs. non-vortec heads), (1 piece rear main seal vs. 2 piece rear main seal), which would have made a difference on the intake manifold and/or flexplate (if it's an automatic). anyway, just my 2 cents worth. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

well at least it wasn't a v6.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A 305 from that year made 165 horses. A 350 from that year made 185 horses. I think the 305 made more like 135 horses in reality.

The emissions sticker, the RPO codes, or the VIN would have told you what it had in it unless someone already swapped it once.

I had a 305 in my 84 K10. I took everything from that motor except the harmonic balancer and manifolds and put it on a motor from a 350 77 C20. Ran just fine. The primaries are a bit lean (about perfect in the summer though) but I like them that way so I can get more mileage. However, the secondaries were _way_ too lean. $15 and a "H" hanger and "DR" rods gave me secondaries that put a smile on your face.

I'd send the Jasper 305 back and get a 350. The most horsepower you'll be able to get out of that 305 is around 210 without investing some serious cash. In fact, since it's only a little bit more (unless you're getting a killer deal on the Jasper one) for a Goodwrench 350, I'd get that instead of risking it with a Jasper motor. However, I'm poor and I buy junk vehicles with motors already in them because I don't have $1150 for a Goodwrench motor.