Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine still turnin over after i turn it off.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5ntexas, Dec 27, 2001.

1. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

well basically what the subject says. i have a re-maned q jet and when it does go for a while after i turn it off it smells really really rich when it does finally die. it only happens when the engine is warm. i have no clue on what it could be so i'm askin ya'll. anything would be helpful. thanx in advance. later.

jacob

what is that low rider doing under my k5?
    wow nice lil jap car. whats it good for?

2. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

oh i forgot to mention. it just stutters. it don't run like i have it on. it goes like it wants to turn off and it wants to be on at the same time. sorry i didn't mention that before. hope this helps a bit more. thanx again. later.

jacob

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The "dieseling" phenomenon. This can happen when running extremely rich, or extremely hot. I forget how to use a carb, though, so I'm going now...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

thanx. i'm gonna try that in the mornin. going to the ranch friday so i'm changing oil, checking fluids, and fixin little problems. thanx alot. later.

jacob

6. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

I don't know a whole lot about engines, but I listen to some cartalk show on NPR and they said that dieseling can be caused by excessive carbon buildup on the pistons, and that there is some crap you can mix in your gas to help take care of it, but I forget the name of the stuff.

Signature???? What's a signature? I guess I'm gonna find out.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Let me guess...the box that the reman carb came in said Holly.
    Get you a vac gage. hook it to where the line goes for the aircleaner Thermac control. set the idle to 600 rpm. adjust one side of the carb till you get the highest reading. burp (quick rev) it a few times to clear it out. Do the other side and burp it. do it all a second time to make sure the carb is evened out. give each mix screw a 1/4 turn leand (clock wise) see how it does after that.
    MX is correct about carbon build up. what will happen is a chunk of the carbon is red hot and will cause the engine to deisel.
    Carbon is cause by several things. running rich is one, additives in the gas and in particular stale gas is another, short tripper vehicles (seldon on the hwy only diven a few miles at a time) will often carbon up. never gets hot enough long enough to burn off the carbon.
    Chevy dealer sells some stuff called "Top end engine cleaner" I'll vouch for the stuff., works good. I have seen it free a stuck valve and I ran some through a engine that I was praying was a stuck valve but was burnt. So right after I tried the stuff I had to pull the head. The cabon was all softend up and comming off. Just besure you park the truck nose into the wind. It will smoke like you will not believe when you do this. After running the stuff through it is recomended to replace the plugs.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I may have to check into this top end engine cleaner... mmy K20 is acting pretty craptacular, and with any luck, its nto a burnt valve....

the other way I've discovered ( when my accelerator stuck in my old truck) is running the engine at 5000 RPM or so for 5-10 seconds will blow out a lot of the carbon... I wouldn't recommend doing this on an older engine, since you could end up breaking something.

my 454 had a problem with diseling, but I corrected it by removing the Zip tie from the choke on my carbureator ( I live in AZ, and chokes are all but useless) the rotating mass of the bigblock is enough to keep it spinning, and 1/2 fireing long after the engine is shut off. the 454 carb has a small spring that forces the choke shut when the small vacuum device loses vacuum. when you crank the car over, the vacuum device pulls the choke back open, allowing the engine to breath.

good luck wiht it,

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've had that problem. Mine was running too rich and the timing was off. It can also be caused by a vacum leak. But since you're smelling gas, I'd bet you're too rich.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have also had this problem when running th cheap gas in a higher compression motor. 87 Octane... diesel... 92 Octane, no diesel.
    Just another possbility.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 44 TSLs
    454 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

11. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

i had a car that did that. i seem to remember shutting it off in gear. this did not fix the problem but it did not run on so bad.
    not shure why.

12. 1975k5

1975k5 Registered Member

These posts are full of " I had the same problem, and this is what.....". My 75 started dieseling this summer when the weather turned warm. I adjusted the idle as low as I could and still idle when in drive. No dieseling. I had tried a new thermostat, plugs, wires, timing, etc... No luck. Idle speed worked.

Tom

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

they said that dieseling can be caused by excessive carbon buildup on the pistons, and that there is some crap you can mix in your gas to help take care of it, but I forget the name of the stuff.

<hr></blockquote>

Prolly marvel mystery oil. Stuff rocks!

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

just another thing to check, if so equipped. The solenoid mounted on the carb on the drivers side, that engages the throttle linkage. My '83 would run on when I turned it off, something was wrong with that solenoid, and kept the throttle open when I turned the vehicle off, so it kept running. Pulled the wire off of it and never had a problem again. Pretty sure that solenoid has to do with kicking the idle up when the AC is on. Easy enough to unplug and test though! : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

15. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Try turning the idle down. I did that with mine and it fixed it but I also had to rebuild the carb but the idle is an easy one to check out first.

Stuck? Yep, I'm always stuck!
    Steve!

16. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

my carb was doing the same thing. so i turned it down 1/4 turn and that did it.