Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

engine storage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, May 12, 2005.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I just pulled a Goodwrench 350 out of my old parts truck and it is now sitting on an engine stand inside a garage. My question is: What should I do to ensure it is safe for prolonged storage? Drain the fluids/leave the fluids in there? Also, is the radiator worth saving or is a used radiator in used condition just junk? It is not the stock radiator but I do not know how old it is. Lastly, how can I pop out the front windshield on a Chevy truck easilly? I am not worried about damging the truck, I just want to save the windshield before the truck goes to the crusher.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

never have to worry about it, just keep water out off it

you would really have to screw up super bad to have nay problem storing the engine

but if youre paranoid you can spray soem penetrating oil in cylinders a little but you dont need to though.,.,

radiator is fine if its not rotted/known to leak

store it too, try and put in big garbage bag to keep it from dryrotting so fast though, copper likes to do that.,

radiator would be stock if its not aftermarket, i think you are mixing up terminology here, i think you mean original, not stock lol

virtually all radiators i have ever puleld form parts or junk vehicles have been perfectly godo, its rare to run across a junk one really, hell the one in the 71 dually is the original and has some rot in it but it works fine and thats after the truck sat not running for a good decade or more, my stepdad has vehicles been sitting parked for 25+ years and they are just fine still too, like the 57 bel air and the 54 F-100 and the 72 chevelle and such, sitting full is the best for them, he jsut runs them once every few years for a bit, then parks them away again, no problems out of any of them mechanically,

i have stored billions of engines trannies axles radiators over the years, enver any problems,

also you can fire the engine up on the ground a few times a year if you wish its real easy just a battery and a gas can is all you need to start it for a few seconds if you really want ot keep it lubed good

cut the windshield out with a utility knife, its real easy only takes a few minutes i remove windshield by myself all the time, its simple cake

good luck

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

when you fire it up after its done being in storage make sure you prime the oil system with an electric drill before you start it...

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I flushed the radiator today and put it away. I also pulled the rubber stripping around the windshield and then it just popped right out, which is also in storage. Turns out the motor is a "10066036" 2 or 4 bolt mains, Target Master/Goodwrench crate motor, 2-piece rear seal, "Hecho en Mexico".