Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Engine Storage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stylzz, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

I need to know the best way to store an engine over the winter without messing it up. I have to keep it outside in a garage with no heat and it gets pretty cold here. Its a pretty expensive race engine so I want to be careful. Should I completely drain all the water from the radiator and block and just leave it till April, or should I do a 50-50 mix with antifreeze and start it every couple weeks, or something else?
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Starting it would be best if your going to leave the coolant in it. Coolant will settle and running will recirculate. Running will also reoil everything. I would get it up to operating temp and let it run for 10-15 minutes to clearo ut some of the condinsation that will form. Sitting is what really hurts stuff. the seals dry out and stick. You fire it off and then they tear. I would run some fuel stabalizer also. Old fuel is not great for carbs and FI.

3. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Yea I thaught It would be better to run it once and a while instead of letting it sit for six months. What is a good way to keep dust and stuff out of it, tennis balls in exhaust, etc? or not worry about it.
    Joe

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

No I would worry about it, you could get mice in the tail pipe like I did /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Well I have heard of people storing engines for long periods of time by draining the fluids, and I think they have a point depending on the kind of fluids you use.
    If you use synthetic oils you can leave it in, if you use regular, after three months it will turn acid and it will eat up the bearings soft material.
    As far as antifreeze, I would change it and keep it in there, it will keep the seeals lubed.
    So in summary I would put synthetic oil and new antifreeze, and not worry about it, six months is not a long time, and don't fill the radiator to the top, leave a couple of inches for the frozen water to expand.
    I wouldn't try to start it when it's freezing, it's more dangerous that way, wait till it's warm again ten start it.

5. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Thanks I'll do those things, cant put synthetic oil in it because its a race car engine and they might find it during a tear down so I'll just change it a couple times. I cant use antifreeze either but I will /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and just flush it real good before next season.